[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Brigade Models • View topic - Anyone know this ship?

Anyone know this ship?

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Anyone know this ship?

Postby jonboy » Wed May 18, 2011 11:11 pm

Whilst browsing through Amazon i came across "British Warships 1860 - 1906" link below, does anyone know the name of the ship on the cover and hopefully it's UK location, I'm hoping there is a Mikasa standard warship out there open to the public.

[/url]http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/?product_id=1991

[img]http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/images/jackets/2389.jpg

Many thanks

Jonboy :lol: [/img]
jonboy

Postby MichiK » Thu May 19, 2011 10:04 am

Hello Jon,

what you git there is major british ship with four stacks (though the forth is a bit hidden) and 6" casemates on top of even more casemates. This instantly cries out "armoured cruiser!". I've found four classes of such cruisers:
I rule out the - they have too many platforms attached to the masts. and have less platforms but seem to have only one of the small casemates (probably 6pdr) in the bow. Therefore, I also rule out those. I'd put my money on one of the , they had (at least for a while) two 6pdrs per side in the bow. Not exactly an evidence but a hint: On the book cover there are no big vents for the boiler rooms visible (though this could also be due to perspective), and - contrary to the other classes - the Drakes lack these vents, indeed.

I think, there were a few protected cruisers of that size and general appearance, too, but I wasn't able to find them at . Of course it could also be one of those...

Michi
MichiK

Many thanks

Postby jonboy » Sat May 21, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi Michi, many thanks for going to such trouble in researching such a thorough reply, big help with some superb links, especially the cruiser photographs. I was hoping that somewhere in the UK there is a cruiser from the Pre Dreadnought era that I had'nt heard of that was in fantastic condition, similar to the Mikasa in Japan. However i think the cover photo may a little misleading in that it is a superb period photo of a now scrapped ship.

Anyway cheers for that and all the best

jon
jonboy

Postby david frampton » Sun May 22, 2011 11:25 am

I suggest you look up the Barrow-in-Furness Dock Museum. They have a superb selection of models of truly gigantic proportions, including a Dreadnought. Barrow was a major builder of Naval ships 1800 - to the present day Trafalgar class Submarine launched recently.

HMS King Alfred - Drake class cruiser was build at Barrow by Vickers. They may have some reference material they can refer you to.

Link: www.dockmuseum.org.uk

David
david frampton

Postby jonboy » Tue May 24, 2011 8:46 am

Cheers Dave I will check it out for sure next time i am up that way, it looks superb. Only way I think i'm going to solve this is hope Foyles has a copy in store and check the cover credit.

many thanks though for highlighting the museum

Cheers
jonboy

Return to Aeronef General