[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Brigade Models • View topic - Terrain - Islands Specifically

Terrain - Islands Specifically

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Terrain - Islands Specifically

Postby Rusty » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:57 am

Hi Guys,

Well progressing well with the models. I have now started to think about terrain features and one thing that I need to look at is Islands.

But I am not sure what size I should be looking at making them. As I am short for time I do have a local guy who makes fantastic scenary and I am going to use him to help me out.

So here is the question/s

Island Quantity:

On a 4ft x 4ft Board how many Islands do you think should be enough?
On a 6ft x 4ft Board how many Islands do you think should be enough?

Island Size:

What Size/s should I look at getting them made to?

A little open-ended I know but I will have the variety in sizes so if you could suggest some length x width x height would really help me out.

Possibly have a Harbour feature of some description, and it will either be built into an island or be on the hard edge of one side of the board.

Thanks in advance for the advise

Cheers
Russell
Rusty

Islands

Postby jonboy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:51 am

Hi Rusty,

Congrats on how fast things are coming along, got to admire the dedication.. re islands the choice is yours, but a at six and four foot, i would go with something that suggests the context and adds colour without completely dominating the game. Off the to of my head we had five islands including the harbour as well as some loose rock formations, but this was on a 14x6 table. I think generally just make sure the table is'nt too busy and cluttered.

Two points we hit in terms of how we saw the final game was the actual form of the islands and what scale?

From a purely playing angle, flats islands with no topography to upset the model stands work best, and this is really taking the game one stage beyond the photo-mat option, done well it can look really good, but for a demo game we really wanted to emphasize the "modeling" aspect and hence went for a traditional approach. However one problem this then presents is how to get the models over the islands, in effect the islands become no fly zones, certainly with the flight stands we were using! So whilst they might visually add to the game; if you decide to go this route i would'nt add too many.

Originally we had intended to look at something like 1/3000 for the islands, wanting to emphasize the sense of altitude in combining the two scales, however the dock area would simply look to insignificant at 1/3000, and again we wanted it to be a focal point for viewers, hence we decided to go for approx 1/1200, using Triang and Old Crow terrain models as a starting point. this consequently made the islands quite large, 1, 1.5, 2 ft long. i would love to say this was based on scaling down images from google earth to absolute accuracy etc, sadly it was'nt, the overiding factor being what size offcuts were available from b&q. (At 1/1200 most islands are huge on the gaming table, probably taking up all of the space, so we went for an abstract more informal what feels right approach)

Personally i would go with the harbour as the focal point for the game, with 1 or 2 islands to act as a backdrop.

As always Rusty, hope the above ramblings are of use, really look forward to seeing the finished game, all the best

Jon
jonboy

Postby Rusty » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:58 am

Thanks Jon,

So the plan at the moment.

1 Major Terrain Feature:

Corner Piece extending out 2ft x 2ft. Front half of the corner piece will be beach & harbour. Behind the harbor will be a 200mm High White Cliff.

1 Main Island 9" x7" with one side of a cliff side and flat area on top for a scratch built radar station

2 smaller Islands 5"x3"

I have sent the idea to the terrain maker in our club and he is looking at seeing if he can complete it before expo.
Rusty

Postby Brigadier Tony » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:55 am

Brigadier Tony

Postby Rusty » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:44 am

Rusty

Postby jonboy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:26 pm

Just to add to Tony's excellant link and suggestion, here are more of the wierd and downright wonderful, all totally hush hush of course dear boy......

My personal favourite has to be the Imperial Emporers's mobile Listening Tuba detachment at the bottom of the page, all of which would look superb on the table.

Cheers guys, you have to love the world of nef, it's mad, mad, mad.... :D
jonboy

Return to Aeronef General