[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Brigade Models • View topic - Some digital 'Nefs for your viewing pleasure

Some digital 'Nefs for your viewing pleasure

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Some digital 'Nefs for your viewing pleasure

Postby javelin98 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:05 pm

I had this weird urge to design some 'Nefs, so here we are. By way of backstory, these ships belong to the Sha-Zulu Alliance ("sha" meaning simply "new" in Zulu). After discovering diamonds on their lands in 1867, the Zulu and Xhosa tribes set about conquering their neighbors, then began to gird themselves for battle against the encroachment of the European powers. The Sha-Zulu hired a Polish inventor who had been unsuccessful in selling his designs in Europe to direct the building of their new fleet.

Sha-Zulu ships are designed for speed and firepower; consequently, their weakness is in their thin armor. The Sha-Zulu doctrine of aeronaval combat is to strike quickly and then withdraw, repeating as necessary until the enemy is defeated. A favorite tactic is to lure an enemy ship out of formation with a seemingly-helpless frigate, then pounce on it with destroyers and battlecruisers.

Design notes: The shape of the ships is actually inspired by the shape of the traditional Zulu shields, rather than a traditional boat shape. I kept the VSF-looking round turrets, funnels, and torpedo tubes in order to keep the ships from looking too futuristic against other 'Nefs.

Group photos:

Ithayiga ("Tiger")-Class Frigate

Umdumo ("Thunder")-Class Bombard Frigate

Gwaza ("Slaughter")-Class Destroyer

Ingwe ("Leopard")-Class Light Cruiser

Inkemba ("Sword")-Class Heavy Cruiser

Isijula ("Javelin")-Class Battlecruiser

Siyonqoba ("Conqueror")-Class Battleship

Ukhozi ("Eagle")-Class Fighter Carrier

Thanks for letting me share,
jav98
Leo: (July 23—Aug. 22): The wheelchair and the indignity will be bad enough, but the worst part is going to be explaining to your wife exactly what you said to the genie to make him take off your legs like that.
javelin98

Postby javelin98 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:34 am

Here is a second fleet that I was asked to build by a friend over on TMP. It's based on a cool-looking anime show that I've never heard of, and while I'm sure I didn't do the source material proper justice, hopefully it would be decent enough for the tabletop.

Frigate:

Destroyer:

Rocket Destroyer:

Light Cruiser:

Heavy Cruiser:

Battleship:

Dreadnought:

Fighter Carrier:

Leo: (July 23—Aug. 22): The wheelchair and the indignity will be bad enough, but the worst part is going to be explaining to your wife exactly what you said to the genie to make him take off your legs like that.
javelin98

Postby javelin98 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:16 am

Next up: The Tso Chinese. Following the assassination of the Imperial family by Muslim Chinese rebels in 1876, General Tso Tsung-t'ang, military genius and founder of China's naval academy, took over administrative control of the government until questions of imperial succession could be resolved. This regency became permanent without any official orders or proclamations, and General Tso immediately moved to modernize the Chinese aeronef fleet.

There are some design elements that are meant to invoke a feeling of traditional Chinese architecture, such as the "turtle boat"-inspired Frigate, the sloping roofline of the Aerofighter Carrier, and the junk-inspired steering vanes present on all the ships. I was going to put a dragon's head on the front of each ship, but I couldn't make a decent one.

Frigate:

Destroyer:

Bomb-Ketch:

Protected Cruiser:

Salvo Rocket Cruiser:

Marine Raider (note the sally ports and harpoon guns):

Battleship:

Aerofighter Carrier:

That's all for now, folks!
javelin98

Postby javelin98 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:53 pm

Next up: The Irish Home Fleet.

When the Irish rebelled against British rule in 1798, Pope Pius VI saw an opportunity to check the growth and power of the Anglican church. Channeling funds and Swiss mercenaries to the Irish, the Pope was able to assist the rebels in expelling the British from all but the northernmost tip of their island by 1803.

The Irish and British continue to spar with each other over such things as trade routes and fishing rights, with occasional small skirmishes between navies. Great Britain's development of a new line of aeroships towards the end of the 1850's spurred an Irish renaissance in shipbuilding, leading to a new generation of heavier, more potent ships taking to the Irish skies. Armed with German guns and belted round with American steel, the Irish Home Fleet has served as a respectable deterrent against any invasion of the island itself.

Frigate:

Destroyer:

Light Cruiser:

Heavy Cruiser:

Battlecruiser:

Battleship:

Dreadnought:

Fleet Carrier:

And a group portrait:

javelin98

Postby MichiK » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:45 am

Superb work, Javelin!

Though I have to admit, the Irish are my least favourite of the four fleets - a bit to plain for my taste. The Irish fighter plane, however, is a gas again. Those triple fins give it a touch of Savoia Marchetti - a nice reference to the Italian/Papal State connection!

I take it that these fleets are designed for 3D-printing, therefore a question/consideration about the windows: You have designed them sunk-in, which doesn't matter as long as one only wants to paint them as dark spots (by applying a wash, e.g.). However, It would be practically impossible to paint them in a more fancy way with colour gradients and highlights. For that reason, I'd prefere windows as raised panels for gaming miniatures.

BTW: There's a store of a certain Javeline98 at shapeways (->) - would that be by incidence yours?

Bye!
Michi
MichiK

Postby javelin98 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:51 pm

Yep, that's my shop! I hadn't been thinking of 3D printing when I made these, but your point about the windows also occurred to me a month or so ago as I was making the Irish fleet. Fortunately, if I decide to set these up for printing, it won't be hard to go around and pop all the windows out by 0.4mm, which would give you a raised window to drop a bead of paint on.

The other thing I've been contemplating is how to add grooves to the decking to elicit that wooden deck feel that you see on all the Brigade 'nefs. I know how to do it; it's just that it's a time-consuming and fiddly process, probably an hour or so per ship. Seems like a real pain, yet at the same time, the wooden planking patterns on the Brigade minis really give them that turn-of-the-century feel.

What do you think would be useful for spicing up the Irish? Maybe some kegs of Guinness lashed to the foc'sle?

Thanks!
jav98
javelin98

Return to Aeronef General