Discussion Group Notes from RAF wargame Convention

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Discussion Group Notes from RAF wargame Convention

Postby david frampton » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:05 pm

The RAF Cranwell wargames club have recently embraced aeronef, with club members buying various fleets. Aeronef is quite fitting for us to play as our club nickname is "The Old Dirigibles" - a play on the "Old Contemptibles" nickname for the British Army and the fact that RAF Cranwell was the first station to receive Dirigibles - in fact one thoroughfare is called "Lighter Than Air Road"! At the last RAF Wargames Convention, designs and construction possibilites for Nefs and Digs were discussed. Some good ideas and some equally bizarre ones came up, such as airborne mine layers, picket balloon minefields and a Dig with an aeroplane snare device. This is a giant spring loaded net operating on a boom from the side. It springs into action giving a mesh net 90 degrees to the dig body when deployed. Staying with nets, there was a suggestion for a "man trap" snare which would fly at low altitude and snaffle slaves etc into the net and then to a prison deck at the rear of the net. This is obviously for the bad guys to use. The thing resembles a giant condom suspended between two digs. One I quite liked was the airborne fougasse - this is a nef towing a dig. The "long rope" is deployed and the fougasse dig is detonated at the right time when enemy aeroplanes or another dig is close by. Resultant explosion destroyed enemy craft. Any more bizarre thoughts?? David
david frampton

Postby IanShaw » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:31 am

:D Like the idea, dont forget that the USN actually did have two airships which could recover aircraft - sometimes. If you are into scratch building then the Revell 1/1200 scale enterprise is useful for fighters, and flight deck. I got two carrires (one deck on 2 Revell Hindenberg airships, and one on a scratch built hull), one small 1/600th sclae merchant and 12 fighters from this and obviously the Hindenberg. (And thats me barred, for saying scratch buildon this forum !)

IanS
IanShaw

re your last

Postby david frampton » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:23 pm

Hi Ian;

yep Hindenburgs are just great - picked up 4 off at RAF Cosford for measly price of £1.25 each! Another planned nef was the Cameron-Talbot patented aeroplane trap - a big net suspended between two digs. Can't wait to try out some conversions and scratch builds. Looking forward to Salute where I can increase my holdings in our Club arms race! David
david frampton

Return to Aeronef General