Basing and storage

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Basing and storage

Postby mxconnell » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:43 am

I've based my nefs on clear plastic flight stands. To date, I have always glued the stand to the nef. Lately I have had some mishaps in the boxes I carry them in (plastic shoe boxes with convoluted foam). The ships are breaking off the stands and are getting damaged. :(

So to stop damage i either have to find a new storage method or have the base and ship separate. What does everyone handle basing and storage?

I asked this question on TMP and folks mostly use magnets. if this is what you use, how to you minimize the visibility of the connection? how do you keep the nef from rotating?

Any clever storage ideas?

Since I have to change everything, I'd like to do it once!

Thanks,
Martin
mxconnell

Re: Basing and storage

Postby david frampton » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:25 am

Hello Martin;

I use foam storage trays made by "Figures in Comfort". Check out he dimensions of your 'nef and buy a couple trays to suit. There is a good system of pre-cut trays where you just pluck out the foam whatever size you want. They also do neat carrying boxes depending on how many ships you wish to store. I moved away from plastic stands years ago and now use the "Poundshop" TV aerials (2 per device), as adjustable flight stands, with a magnet glued on top. Never put magnets on the 'nef as this will save you money by only gluing magnets to the flight stands you will use. I used the thin strip ferrous metal staples from an automatic photocopier machine to go underneath my ships, so the magnet has something to stick to. These also double up as "planks" if you are scratch-building! David
david frampton

Postby NickH » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:37 am

I use A5 craft boxes with DIY foam inserts cut using a sharpened cookie cutter

More info: http://fenedgewargaming.co.uk/wp/?p=163
NickH

Postby david frampton » Mon May 05, 2014 8:35 pm

Nice Stuff Nick; Will we see you at Stoke Rochford in October?
david frampton

Postby NickH » Wed May 14, 2014 3:59 pm

Not sure yet David, I'm keeping it open as an option.
NickH

Postby david frampton » Wed May 14, 2014 7:54 pm

It will be very good to meet you as you are fairly close - You have an open invite to aeronef gaming at RAF Cranwell and Stoke Rochford.
david frampton

Postby javelin98 » Mon May 19, 2014 6:19 pm

Wow, those look terrific, NickH! I've been using pick-and-pluck foam from Sabol Designs' Army Transport system, laying them down sideways, but I think I like your idea better. I may have to look into doing something similar.
Leo: (July 23—Aug. 22): The wheelchair and the indignity will be bad enough, but the worst part is going to be explaining to your wife exactly what you said to the genie to make him take off your legs like that.
javelin98

Postby SteelViscount » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:00 pm

Storage is something I have yet to tackle, but I've generally used a system of magnets glued to the flight stands and the bottoms of the hulls, with 2.5 mm ones for Class 5 and the smaller Class 4, and 5mm ones for anything larger. I've found that epoxy works well for flat craft, but stands and curved-hulled craft are a bit harder – epoxy alone makes it hard to keep the magnet in place whilst drying, whereas superglue doesn't produce a solid hold, so I use superglue to keep the magnet in place initially, then secure it with a surrounding epoxy glob.
SteelViscount

Return to Aeronef Miniatures