1/1200 waterline models

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

1/1200 waterline models

Postby jonboy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:06 pm

Does anyone know of a good manufacturer, relativly cheap please if possible, of waterline 1/1200 merchant sea vessels( round about 1890-1915). These are going to be background scenery so may even resort to scratchbuild, but i'm looking for tramp steamers, paddlestaemer mail boats etc to sit on base board while Aeronef slog it out above. I know navwar do a small but very useful range of chinese junks which i will be using for china seas scenarios, but is there anything else out there?

AQm currently scouring waterline models and ebay but wonfdered if anything had slipped by the radar, any suggestions welcome, cheers

Jonboy
jonboy

Postby NickH » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:29 pm

Hi Jonboy,

I use 1:3000 by Tumbling Dice, that way you get a sense of looking down on the tiny ships below. Their 1:3000 range is very good and has more detail than many larger scale models.

Unfortunately their website has gone, don't know if they are still in business.

Nick H.
NickH

Postby jonboy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:24 pm

Hi Nick, i've purchasd some of their models and they are great, problem was, the terrain for the arbuthnot's game underwent a radical bit of scale creep towards 1/1200 for the harbour port area, whilst the islands are more correctly around 1/1200 :oops: , so we're going to need some form of compromise, plus i really like the crashed zurich aeronef model. Have done a bit oif a quick google seep an come up with Houston models 1/1200 pre dread range and the Chinese models look very much like what I am after plus they do merchant shipping.

However i do agree the scale play between 1/1200 for the nef models and a smaller 1/3000 table scale does look stunning, so jury is still out on this :wink:

Thanks as ever for the input sir!
jonboy

Postby Wessex Steve » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:35 am

Houston's Ships 1/1000th vessels are perfect:

http://bleaseworld.blogspot.com/2010/04/victorian-ironclads.html

They do a generic freighter and transport alongside the military vessels.
Steve Blease
Wessex Games
Wessex Steve

must resist...must....mu....bugger

Postby jonboy » Wed May 04, 2011 1:29 pm

Absolutely spot on sir, and the wallet's going to atke a bashing, inspiring shots and oprder will be off to Houston asap, I love the Victorain pre - dread navy and looking at Houston's website, some of the Chinese Navy models are superb, so will deffinitly be ordering a few of these to grace the table as it were.

Many thanks steve for the link :D

Jonboy, all the best guys and keep rolling the six's
jonboy

Return to Aeronef Miniatures