Dimensions of Nef minis?

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Dimensions of Nef minis?

Postby javelin98 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:06 pm

I've been having some fun making Aeronef fleets in Sketchup for a while now, but I've been kind of winging it, as I don't own any 'Nef minis personally. So, a couple questions to make sure my creations are in proportion with the existing minis:

1. How tall are the decks on an average 'Nef, in millimeters? For example:

2. How thick are the hulls (on non-dirigible ships), in general?

3. How tall are the turrets on most ships?

4. What are the dimensions (height and thickness) of the funnels on an average BB, CA, and DD?

Thanks in advance!
jav98
Leo: (July 23—Aug. 22): The wheelchair and the indignity will be bad enough, but the worst part is going to be explaining to your wife exactly what you said to the genie to make him take off your legs like that.
javelin98

Postby david frampton » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:00 am

Hi Pal; I note you are from Spokane - there is a guy called 'Terry of Spokane' who has sent articles on nefs to the "sister" site for Victorian Science Fiction Yahoo group. I am pretty sure he has a a nef fleet as he has written rules for using them - you could view his fleet perhaps, once you make contact - or alternatively just purchase a couple of Brigade's excellent "cheap as chips" models to see first hand the sizes and differences in national designs and configurations.

What nations and design traits are your favourites and that you are developing? Any pics or ideas greatly appreciated by we happy few Aeronef affectionardos! David
david frampton

Postby javelin98 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:01 pm

Thanks, I'll go look him up!

Here are three fleets I've already drawn up -- Chinese, Zulu, and a Russianesque fleet I made for a friend of mine -- and I just finished up with an Irish fleet, which I'll post pics of in the next day or two.

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... php?t=1183

Thanks!
jav98
Leo: (July 23—Aug. 22): The wheelchair and the indignity will be bad enough, but the worst part is going to be explaining to your wife exactly what you said to the genie to make him take off your legs like that.
javelin98

Postby Brigadier Tony » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi Javelin

The decks are 2-3mm high, depending on exactly what the model is (I assume that battleships will be roomier with higher ceilings than very small vessels).

The models are 1/1200th scale, which translates to 4' = 1mm. So a 2mm deck is 8 feet high in theory.
Brigadier Tony

Postby javelin98 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:42 pm

Thanks, Tony!
javelin98

Return to Aeronef Miniatures