Jutland with Nef - Stoke Rochford

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Re: Jutland with Nef - Stoke Rochford

Postby inrepose » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:15 pm

Have we decided on a setting now? Any interest in Martian Jutland for next year?
inrepose

Re: Jutland Over Mars - Stoke Rochford

Postby david frampton » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:05 pm

I think the idea of a Martian setting goes well with the ideals of VSF. Swap the blue map for a red one. Lots more scope to get various national fleet alliances on the table as well.

Ideas for starters:

British
Italians
Dutch
Danish/Scandinavian
Confederated States of America
Japan

Germans
Poles
Austro-Hungarian
French
Russian
Spanish

American League
Union states of America
Uruguay
Ecuador
Argies
Mexico
Haiti
Dominican Republic

Martian
Last edited by david frampton on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
david frampton

Postby jonboy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:20 am

Hi think the idea if a Marrian landscape is fantastic, and would love to contribute some mountain ranges etc, we have to do do a crumbling temple and canal system. The only potential hazard I see is we are going full circle. My understanding is there was a desire to move away from a bring your ships along and we'll play with what we've got, to a more structured scenario driven, calculTed orbat approach, hence Jutland. Yes to a Martian game, but I think we still need carefully weighed up orbats so we know in advance what to bring and that there are no discrepancies in sides.

PS I'll bring the yanks, Japanese, French and the deadly strikeforce that is the Peruvian Navy
jonboy

Postby Stormrider » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:31 am

Is 6 months after putting a load of fleets on a blue cloth too soon to put a load of fleets on a blue cloth? Personally I could have done exactly the same the next day and after 6 months I couldn't care less what colour the cloth is or even if there is one (purists beware)...

I'm one of the biggest rules lawyer/pedant around but if we start imposing too many restrictions this could start to become too much like work rather than play.

1 big upvote for as many ships on the table without it collapsing and I'm more than happy to bring buckets to roll the dice with!
Stormrider

Postby inrepose » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:48 am

Well I don't mind a lot of ships, it would not be much fun if you just rolled up with 10 ships and felt like you missed the game and it is supposed to be an epic event. I just felt some caution should be applied, otherwise it will just be the same game as last time, so adding a bit more of an objective and focus for it would add to the fun with some specific objectives to achieve.

I don't think we should be ultra prescriptive with numbers, forces etc. However my experience of super big Nef games is that it can need a bit more focus or detail or it is a slug fest (which can be fun). That is just my own personal view though and I was not involved in the last game but it was clearly a great game.

I think we are all a good crowd though and would not stop someone wanting to field their pride and joy on the day. A fleet is certainly something to be proud of!

Perhaps a light structure would be good with some loose objectives. I do like the potential for building a martian style landscape though :)
inrepose

Postby miciobello73 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:18 pm

Well well looks like that we have to rewrite history on the red plane of Mars this time . . . . . this would be a chance to use all my existing vessel or a chance to add some more????? :roll:

Well well add some more looks ok for me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
miciobello73

Jutland On Mars

Postby david frampton » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:33 pm

Right Oh! Sounds like the massed fleets are gearing up for an epic clash.

You have lots of time to add to your existing fleets. So, can you please let me have by PM the fleets you wish to bring. I will require in due course the total points value (Not CP) of your completed fleet. I do not need a fleet breakdown by ship as this will give the opposition something to think about!
david frampton

Postby Stormrider » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:48 am

I'll let you know after Salute ;)

Depends what I can sneak past SWMBO
Stormrider

Postby miciobello73 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:13 pm

Dear David

As soon as is possible I will post on this forum the PV value of my Aeronef and Land Ironclad forces, for the moment I opened a new tread in Land Ironclad miniature forum to keep updated on my Italian Army.

Silvio
miciobello73

Postby Stormrider » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:00 am

Just looked at the forces lists...

Silvio my good man, this time, we're allies! :)
Stormrider

Postby jonboy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:44 am

I know it's just for fun, but authentically in time with the period, Japan was in most western matters inspired by Great Britain during this period, attempting to emulate her Imperial prowess in naval matters. A large proportion of her senior naval staff had attended British naval colleges etc. So it's my understanding she would have allied with Britain for possible Martian expansion. But hey I'm sure there's plenty of opportunity for a bit of political skulduggery and side swapping anyway during the game ;-)

Already thinking ahead to terrain, I'm thinking desert wastelands inspired by Disney's John Carter movie. mountain ranges with skeleton bone remains of giant intergalactic beasts, crumbling decayed temples and desolate Martian tribal cities. I see an ageing planet being fought over by colonial powers.
jonboy

Postby miciobello73 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:03 am

You can shout out loud Stormrider, we will give a lesson to remember to those Huns :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
And we will teach another song to those Austrians :lol: :lol: :lol:
Can't wait actually.
But I think the next game will be not this one but the Scarborough engagement?????
Anyway at the moment I have all the able men enlisted and the factory producing as much as possible. . . . Check my tread in Land Ironclad miniatures for pictures.

Jonboy I don't think Japanese would have been allied with anyone at that time, but as you say aeronef on Mars. . . . . .Why not?

John Carter Movie :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
I like that we have to talk seriously with Tony. .. . .
miciobello73

Postby david frampton » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:41 pm

jonboy wrote:I know it's just for fun, but authentically in time with the period, Japan was in most western matters inspired by Great Britain

Japan transferred to support Great Britain. I have an unpainted Japanese fleet for sale if anyone is interested? Contact me for ORBAT.
david frampton

Postby Brigadier Tony » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:02 am

I seem to have missed an awful lot of action on the forums lately ! I thought I was subscribed to all of the forums but somewhere along the line it's stopped sending me notifications, and what a lot I've missed.

Having skim-read this topic (there's too much to read every Orbat in detail), I concur with putting it on Mars, just for a bit of variety. We could make some nice bits of Martian scenery (mountains, ruined buildings, canals !) that don't interfere too much with the game in hand. I have some Martian buildings already designed as part of our 2mm range so I can make sure they are in production in time for the game - Jon, you were going to send me some links to that city in Africa ?

I also agree with Jon that the forces need to be regulated a bit - a "bring everything you've got" game sounds like fun but could be terribly unbalanced. If everyone submits the fleet they'd like to bring, Dave could work out the alliances and sides and make sure everything is at least roughly balanced points-wise. We could still have big fleets, but they should be comparable in points value.. Some random objectives for eachy admiral would spice things up as well ('Destroy the opposing flagship', 'Bomb the Martian temple', 'Drop a landing party by the canal' etc) and mean there's more to the game than just blowing up the opposition.

One point about torpedoes - the original points system assumes no reloads, and is also based on the original, not very effective torpedo rules. By making torpedos much more effective and allowing reloads we have seriously broken this points system, so it will need to be heavily modified to take this into account. I know exactly how many torpedo boats and corvettes Stewart bought at Salute, and I would be seriously scared of that fleet ...
Brigadier Tony

Postby jonboy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:35 am

Re torpedo's what seemed to work well at the game was the concept of slim chance of getting Torp to target, a six on a 6D, possibly even a 10 on a 10D, this represents the technical difficulties of a new weapon tech, breakdowns, misfires etc, as well as reactive measures/ manoeuvres on the target ship's behalf. However if successful the consequences can be devastating. 5x d6 points of damage, roll high and it's goodnight Vienna. ( mental note US fleet authentically has total inability to roll high. :-)

Reloads - most ships have 4 rounds of torps, then should have to return to base or nearest tender to resupply. So adequate tenders become a priority as does keeping them protected. Suddenly you have interesting fleet strategy at the Destroyer TB boat level. How do you strike but also protect valuable supply lines.

October will be interesting to see how "J'eune E'cole " torpedo tactics do against ships of the line. To quote Scheer at Jutland "Bring it on big guy"
jonboy

PreviousNext

Return to Aeronef Miniatures