Making NEW Aeronef ships out of other miniatures

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Making NEW Aeronef ships out of other miniatures

Postby Captain Gideon » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:16 am

I thought I'd post this to see how it goes.

I've been thinking of about this for a little while now after looking thru my Aeronef Fleets I got to thinking of making some new Aeronef ships.

My American Aeronef Fleet needs a few new ships so what I was thinking was getting some 1/1200th scale ACW Ironclads and modify them.

So any ideas as to which Confederate and Union Ironclads should I try and get for this project?

Also since the US don't have a Carrier yet any idea on what I should use for that?

The Americans are the first Fleet that I'm starting with the rest will happen down the road.

My current Aeronef Fleets are the following:

UNITED STATES
GREAT BRITAIN
GERMANY
FRANCE
RUSSIA
JAPAN
AUSTRIA-HUNGARY
BRAZIL*
NETHERLANDS*
BELGIUM*
PERU*
ITALY
TURKEY

The Nations with an * next to them means that they're very small like les than 5 ships each I think overall I have some 300 plus ships and that number will grow after I get my recent order from Brigade at some point I'll give you Fleet lists.

Thanks
Michael
Captain Gideon

Re: Making NEW Aeronef ships out of other miniatures

Postby david frampton » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:37 pm

Hello Michael;

I suggest you look at the magnificent scratch built American carriers produced by Jon Rogers for the massive Aeronef game at Salute (UK Wargames show) a few years ago - Pearl Harbour 1890s style. There are some superb photos of these kicking around on various VSF sites. As far as ironclads are concerned, I seriously recommend the beautifully sculpted Langton Miniatures (www.rodlangton.com) 1:1200 scale, ACW ironclads series. Their website will give details of the full range but to give you an idea, I have at hand the following model vessels: USS Miantonomoh, Benton and Monitor & CSS Virginia II, Fredericksburg and Albemarle. Of course, given the recent revisions in Aeronef time scale, you can justifiably build Union and Confederate Aeronef and I know of at least one gamer in UK who has a Confederate fleet. A tip I use when putting fleets together is that I look at the real wet navies of the era and have an equivalent Aeronef navy matching the names and formations. This saves working out a GNP for each nation and also gives a working battle formation. The best book I have found on period wet navies is Conway's "All the World's Fighting Ships 1860-1905". I have already worked out many of the Orders of Battle in your fleet lists, so if you want to use the above method of making up your fleets, please drop me a message on this forum. David
david frampton

Postby Captain Gideon » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:42 am

Hello David yes please any help on my Fleets I would be most grateful.

I just got my recent Brigade order and the bulk of the ships were German since that Fleet was very small and I needed to enlarge it.

My American's I still need to work on but my Turkish Fleet is 30 plus ships which I'm happy with.

What I can do is make Fleet lists for my Fleets once I go thru them all and post them here after that you can look thru them and help me out.

It'll take awhile to do this because there's other things going on now but I'll get to it very soon.

Michael
Captain Gideon

Postby david frampton » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:07 pm

Ah! Time is always against us when it comes to hobbies. I can't wait to retire! My e-mail is david.frampton801@btopenworld.co.uk for future fleet info/TOEs or Orders of Battle (ORBATS). Stop press is that new manufacturer "Red Eagle Miniatures" (www.redeagleminiatures.co.uk) or (info@redeagleminiatures.co.uk) has started supplying 1:1200 scale ACW Ironclads considerably cheaper than Langton - these may be the models formerly produced by "Triton"', but at exceptional value - I picked up very nice model of CSS Louisiana on Saturday war games show for £2.00! They have 20 models in the range. Pity you are other side of pond as we have a mega Aeronef game at month end in a Victorian mansion. I can give you wet navy equivalents for most nations 1860-1905. D
david frampton

Postby Captain Gideon » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:33 pm

David I'll be sending you an email shortly with my Aeronef Fleet lists.

I wish I could attend your mega Aeronef game but that's impossible for several reasons the main reason is money.

And before I forget in case any of you Gentlemen across the pond ever wish to part with any of your Aeronef minis please keep me in mind.

Michael
Captain Gideon

Postby Captain Gideon » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:41 pm

David I just tried to email you and it didn't work so if you would please email me at yamamoto87@hotmail.com and then I can send you my Fleet Lists.

Thanks
Michael
Captain Gideon

Postby Smith » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:27 am

Why buy ships when you can make your own. I have made whole fleets from balsa wood and old plastic, and chapstick tubes can make great dirigibles. The best part is you can make them to your own specifications and it's not that hard. Don't know if that's what you were hoping to hear but those are my thoughts.
Smith

Postby Captain Gideon » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:07 pm

Sorry I'm really bad at making my own ships I do know there's a lot of people who can do this but I can't so I'll stick to buy my miniatures be they new or used.

Michael
Captain Gideon

Postby Captain Gideon » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:50 am

Recently I acquired some packs of ACW 1/1200th scale ships which a friend got me when he was in Southern Calif for a toy soldier show.

All of the minis are Houston's ships and of the packs I got there's a handful that I can convert for Aeronef.

First off I have 3 Union Ironclads which one will be going to my French Fleet and is the Dunderberg since it went to France after the Civil War it's perfect for use in the French Navy and there's not much really to alter now I just have to figure what do I classify the ship as a Battleship,Cruiser any ideas?

The other 2 Union ships which I can't remember their names at this time will be used in my American Aeronef Fleet.

As to the Confederate Ironclads which numbers 6 and includes Virginia II,Tennessee,Atlanta and Mississippi since I don't have enough of them they'll be part of my American Fleet as well.

And the nice thing about these ships is that I won't have to alter them that much if any and if you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks
Michael
Captain Gideon

Postby NickH » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:24 am

A bit late to the party but here's a few of my efforts.

USN flattop:
http://fenedgewargaming.co.uk/wp/?p=186

Argentine hybrid:
http://fenedgewargaming.co.uk/wp/?p=257

RN colonial carrier:
http://fenedgewargaming.co.uk/wp/?p=191
NickH

Return to Aeronef Miniatures