Size of playing area?

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Size of playing area?

Postby Ruarigh » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:07 pm

While waiting for my ninja shopper to return from Salute with the starter pack for SC, I have downloaded the rules to absorb in my excitement. One thing that is not covered, as far as my initial skim through them went, was the size of the playing area needed.

What size playing area would you recommend for starter-pack-sized forces?

Do you have any guidelines on how much the playing area needs to be enlarged for each increase in number of fighters fielded?
Ruarigh

Postby Brigadier Tony » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:28 pm

We generally play on x 6'x4' table with 40mm hexes, but that's at least twice as much area as you really need. Most of the games end up as a big bundle in the middle anyway ! I reckon you could handle 20 fighters a side on a table of that size
Brigadier Tony

Postby Ruarigh » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:02 pm

Ok, thanks. So, a 4'*4' area playing without hexes at a rate of 1 hex = 1 inch should be ample then.

I had another look through the rules and there seems to be no mention of hex size, so I am pleased you mentioned how large the hexes you use are. That gives me a suitable frame of reference. It might be worth including this info in the next iteration of the rules too as it gives people a decent idea of what they need.

My ninja shopper dropped by this evening and managed to sneak the figures in without my wife seeing. I now have my fighters sitting on the painting table adn I think they look great. Time to break out the primer tomorrow and then dither over an appropriate paint scheme. Do I go with the same as my ground troops, because the fighters will also provide ground attack capability? Or do I go with something more 'space-y'?
Ruarigh

Postby Brigadier Tony » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:57 am

Do I go with the same as my ground troops, because the fighters will also provide ground attack capability?

That was the idea of going 1/300th with them, so that have a secondary use as ground support.

Whatever you go with, be sure to show us the results !
Brigadier Tony

Return to SC3600 General