Task Organized Units

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Task Organized Units

Postby Failure16 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:30 pm

This thread is intended to be a clearinghouse for tables of organization and equipment, modifed for particular needs. It is a logical offshoot of Javelin's excellent "Company Team" thread and is intended to further it, but without the connotation that these could be produced or marketed by Brigade as outright products.

Instead, the intention here is to show [potential] Iron Cow players (or those simply using Brigade's beautiful models) some organizational schemes taken from existing products, or at least how to add some odds and ends to such to make something composed for a scenario, campaign, historical background, or for any other reason...

Okay, now. I am a dyed-in-the-wool EuroFed player, but every line and faction has some sort of delicious flavor and/or history behind it. For myself, I have an unabashed love for the ONESS German Joturn. I'm not a huge fan of the assault-gun concept in real life, but on the gaming table it looks darn nice. So...what if a German corporation trying to eke out a foothold in shattered Africa felt it needed some muscle?

It could go two ways, I figure: they could ask for official, national help, or hire a private concern that is either purely mercenary, or at least has leanings towards their cause. Either way, I feel it would be unlikely that they would receive top-of-the-line gear to supplement their presumably meager security forces, so that's how we get to the lovely Joturn...

Backstory

Siemens AG has been active in Africa in the present timeline for well over 150 years. In that time, their fortunes have waxed and waned, but they have always remained a formidable financial and technical powerhouse. Following the split of the European Union and the turmoil of the 21st Century, Siemens (like its parent nation Germany) found itself at odds with its former sometimes-partner and often rival France.

As the European Federation seeks to widen its holdings in battered Africa, the Organization of European States finds itself losing ground steadily, both to the EuroFed and the Suid Afrikaan Confederation. The ruling council of ONESS has traditionally been hesitant to deploy significant forces far from its borders, and with the NeoSov bear wakening once more to the east, that reality is now more obvious than ever. It is thus how Siemens Technologies Improvement Africa has found itself in a very precarious position.

Siemens TIA has long been focused on energy technology, and no more than ever in the resources-starved Earth of the 22nd Century. Their new flagship project in Nigeria, the powerworks outside of Ngala which provide power to all the major cities in the country and even further afield, have recently become the focus of EuroFed interests in Chad. Chad itself has always been rather poor, but the upheavals of the last century pushed the entire continent closer to barbarism than it has ever been, and Chad was more fragile than most. In the currrent era, the noticeable shrinking of Lake Chad has become a bone of contention between the two countries.

Siemens TIA requires the relatively large water mass for its energy-production operations, while the EuroFed community trying to rebuild Chad (or at least the infrastructure that is able to recover the remaining oil and gas desposits left over from the years of strife) needs the scant water supplies for more basic needs. It hasn't been lost upon local Eurofed Legion d'Afrique commanders that posession of the power-farm at Ngala would be an easy way to force ONESS interests in Nigeria to its knees. Likewise, Siemens TIA executives can read a map just as well, and the board back in the ruins of Munich has relayed their concerns to sympathetic military commanders.

And thus was born the Afrikan Freiwilliger, though in company records it was always referred to as the Versuchsabteilung (Research Battalion). It was generally composed of ONESS officers, non-coms, and volunteers not-so-sereptitiously seconded to detached duty with a strong leavening of local adjuncts. Equipment was generally second-line, or at least second hand, but this wasn't seen as a major issue, seeing as the Legion Etranger that they was their most-likely adversary didn't field top-of-the-line gear themselves.

The Versuchsabteilung at its height fielded a compact structure that yielded considerable results given its austere beginnings. It started as a meager infantry/security company but soon grew to its largest strength (both on paper and in the field) of no less than five combat companies and a healthy support formation.

The general MTOE is as follows:

Gepanzert Versuchsabteilung
HHC (x1)
HQ
2xJoturn Assault Gun
4xThrall Closed-Body MCP
5 Thrall Hovertrucks
50 Personnel

HQ Company
ADA Platoon (4x Thrall ADVs, 1xThrall Closed-Body MCP)
FS Platoon (6xThrall Salvo Rocket)
Recon Platoon (6xHyane AC)
Pioner Platoon (4x Lynx Spt, 1xThrall Closed-Body MCP)
S&T Platoon (12x Thrall Hovertrucks)
Maint Platoon (4x Thrall Hovertrucks)

Panzerjager Company (x3)
HQ (x1)
1xJoturn Assault Gun
2xThrall Closed-Body MCP
2xLynx ATGM
1xThrall ADV
2xThrall Pickup w/ Mortar
4 Thrall Hovertrucks

Line Platoon (x3)
1xLynx MCP w/ 1HQ Squad
4xJoturn Assault Guns
2xLynx AC w/ 2xSquads Infantry

Armored Car Company (x2)
HQ (x1)
1xHyane Spt
2xHyane w/ ATGM
3 Thrall Hovertrucks

AC Platoon (x2)
1xHyane Spt
3xHyane AC

Infantry Platoon (x2)
4xThrall Hovertrucks
4xSquads Infantry
2xThrall Pickup w/ Mortar

Now, how do we go about tweaking it to ultimate perfection, hmm? I must confess that it's a bit higher tech than I wanted, but there it is. Leaving game-effectiveness firmly behind us for the moment, would it be more beneficial to nix the autocannon Lynx APCs and replace them with Thralls? That would turn the force into a firmly motorized force, but wouldn't that be more realistic? In other words, criticisms welcome!

For the next round, I'll put up their titular opponents, the 214er Groupment Mobile de Légion d'Afrique.
Last edited by Failure16 on Sat May 15, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Failure16

Postby Failure16 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:53 pm

Okay, so that fell a bit flat. No matter, though! :wink:

What about this? How would you tweak the following company team, whose purpose (in general game terms) is to conduct moderately independent operations in a relatively low-level conflict, both as a security force (in the civilian and miltiary sense of the word) and a bulwark for local forces to form around?

Afrika Freiwilliger Panzerjager Company
HQ Section (x1)
o 1xJoturn Assault Gun
o 2xLynx ATGM
o 2xLynx Mortar or Thrall w/ Mortar
o 3xLynx MCP or Thrall Closed Body (as MCP)

Line Platoon (x2-3)
o 4xJoturn Assault Gun
o 2xLynx AC or Thrall Truck (as Troop Carrier) w/ 2xSquads Infantry

[Optional/Mission Depenmdent] Attachments from Gepanzert Versuchsabteilung (higher echelon)
o ADV Section (2xThrall ADV)
o Pioner Platoon (2xLynx Spt, 2x Lynx APC, 2xThrall Truck, 1xLynx MCP, 2xSquads Cbt. Eng.)
o FS Section (2xThrall Salvo)
o Armored Car Platoon (2xHyane Spt, 4xHyane AC)
o CAS Mission (2xWespe; 1D6/2 Strikes)
o Local Militia (2*1D6+4 Technicals [Javelots?] w/ 1D6+2 Infantry)

So, the first question would be: should I go with using mainly Lynxes, or Thralls? The first would be more combat effective, but the second has a sort of certain charm, not to mention deliciously low-tek. I also realize that Hyanes could be incorporated directly into the structure of the Panzerjager company itself, taking over the ATGMV role (for instance) but mobility and speed is a major concern, there.

Also, should Baldurs be present? Light tanks seem like a reasonable choice for a detached "semi-official" military force. If so, would they be better within the normal company organization, or as an adjunct from Battalion/higher?

And last, should the line platoons incorporate assault guns and infantry together, or would it be better served to have pure AG and Infantry platoons? My real-world experience says the latter, but the backstory's focus on LIC and independent stability ops suggests platoon missions a lot of the time.

Input requested!
Last edited by Failure16 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Failure16

Postby Brigadier Tony » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:27 pm

I'd go with Thralls - feels more like a paramilitary force.
Brigadier Tony

Postby Failure16 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:21 pm

Aha! Thralls it is, then, at least for carrying the pongoes and mortars. Of course, how do we take care of the ATGMV role without resorting to Hyanes...?

Hmm...Baldurs with Lynx ATGM turrets? Or modified Thrall weapons-carriers? I'm open to suggestions on this especially.

Oh, last request: mixed or "pure" platoons for the aggies and motor infantry?

I see a few possible avenues:

Option 1: Two-and-Two pure 4xAG and 4xMotor-inf platoons

Option 2: 3-4 Mixed Platoons of...

Option 2A: 4xAG, 2xMotor-Inf

Option 2B: 2 or 3x AG, 2xMotor Inf, 1xMortar

Option 3: Any variations of those above!
Failure16

Postby Brigadier Tony » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:24 am

Thrall weapon carriers with Lynx AT turrets ? You could scratchbuild some simple cockpit armour for the driver's position.

It's difficult to think of a current real-world equivalent to this unit, but I'd be inclined to mix the mortars in with the rifle platoons - a unit of this type probably wouldn't be deployed en masse that often, so keeping the fire support units integrated with the platoons means they'll be where they are needed.
Brigadier Tony

Postby javelin98 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:26 pm

Darn it! I had written a long and eloquent post, and then my browser crashed. Shoot. So now you'll get the short and ugly version. *sigh*

I think second-line, "territorial" units will lack for heavy armor but also won't have a whole lot of need to fight against heavy armor. Most LIC situations faced in Africa are going to be of the militia-and-technicals variety, and only the Legion Etranger will present any real opportunity to use ATGMs, which are expensive and touchy.

So in that regard, you might have a small antitank section armed with ATGMs backed up with AT guns of some kind, such as a couple of Thralls with AT guns mounted in the bed or a Joturn or two.

I think, though, that most of the emphasis in a territorial force will be on infantry, both as a primary component and a primary threat. Anti-personnel weapons will become very important, then; autocannons, AA guns (like the Quad-50's or 20mm of WWII), grenade launchers, etc., will be very valuable. Mortars and MLRS, too, although with mortars being far cheaper, I think you would see many more of those.

Given the scenario you've described above, I could see a core unit of ONESS regulars, operating mostly second-line equipment, that becomes the nucleus of a much larger force of militia and local troops, most of which are equipped with cheaper, locally-available materiel. Here's a potential core force:

Afrika Freiwilliger Company

HQ Section (x1)
o 1 x Lynx Command APC
o 1 x Thor MBT or Baldur Light Tank
o 2 x Lynx Mortar or Thrall w/ Mortar
o 2 x Thrall Closed Body

Panzerjäger Section (x1)
o 2 x Lynx ATGM w/ 2 x infantry squads (w/ man-pack ATGMs or RPGs)
o 2 x Thrall w/ AT Gun or Joturn SPAG

Panzergrenadier Platoon (x2-3)
o 1 x Joturn Assault Gun, Baldur Light Tank, or Hyäne Armoured Car
o 1 x Lynx AC w/ 1 x infantry squad
o 3 x Thrall Truck (as Troop Carrier) w/ 1 x infantry squad each
1 infantry squad would include 2 x Infantry Mortars for organic fire support

Then we can add on the auxiliary formations as mission needs dictate. I really like the ones you've laid out already, but I've tweaked them a bit (purely as a matter of intellectual exercise!).

Spähwagen Reconnaissance Section
o 3 x Javelot MG (forward observers)

Pionier Platoon
o 2 x Lynx Support w/ 2 x sapper squads
o 2 x Thrall Truck w/ 2 x sapper squads

Sturmpionier Platoon
o 2 x Joturn SPAG w/ dozer blades
o 3 x Thrall Closed-Body w/ 3 x sapper squads

Fire Support Section
o 2 x Thrall Salvo or 3 x Thrall w/ Mortar

Air Defence Section
o 2 x Thrall AA

Kampfwagen Platoon
o 2 x Hyäne Armoured Car
o 2 x Hyäne Autocannon

Gun Truck Platoon
o 3 x Thrall Pickup w/ 4 to 6 pintle-mounted light machine guns along the bed
o 3 x infantry squads (to man the guns!)

Dragoon Detachment
o 6 x Infantry Squads w/ horses or camels (double normal movement)

Local Polizei Detachment
o 2 x Hyäne Armoured Car
o 2 x Thrall Pickup w/ 2 x infantry squads

Local Militia
o 2 x 1D6+4 Technicals [Javelots?] w/ 1D6+2 infantry squads

Funny... I just now noticed that the Legion Etranger don't have any indirect fire units. I assume that's in the pipeline somewhere...
Leo: (July 23—Aug. 22): The wheelchair and the indignity will be bad enough, but the worst part is going to be explaining to your wife exactly what you said to the genie to make him take off your legs like that.
javelin98

Postby Failure16 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:27 am

This is just a placeholder...but thanks for the great replies!

And Thrall guntrucks I have--I'm in the process of coverting the last two out of six into Marderalikes. If I take a trip over to C-in-C I could get a pack of fifty .50 cals that could make Javelin's idea quite workable.

I shall go forthwith and assimilate the ideas you two have presented so I can pass them off as my own in the future.

:wink:

Random thought for the day: the Catroux hull looks like a dead ringer for a Hammer's Slammer's Combat Car. A plenum chamber shouldn't be that hard to make, but how do I go about hollowing out the rear hull for the fighting compartment...?
Failure16

Postby Brigadier Tony » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:14 am

Funny... I just now noticed that the Legion Etranger don't have any indirect fire units. I assume that's in the pipeline somewhere...

The Catroux now has a mortar carrier variant, and the LE also have a small calibre infantry gun too. Should be photos in the design studio soon
Brigadier Tony

Postby javelin98 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:43 pm

Failure16 wrote:Random thought for the day: the Catroux hull looks like a dead ringer for a Hammer's Slammer's Combat Car. A plenum chamber shouldn't be that hard to make, but how do I go about hollowing out the rear hull for the fighting compartment...?

Seek ye the comfort of yon Dremel!
Leo: (July 23—Aug. 22): The wheelchair and the indignity will be bad enough, but the worst part is going to be explaining to your wife exactly what you said to the genie to make him take off your legs like that.
javelin98

Postby Brigadier Tony » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:50 pm

How on earth did you manage to read that !? I had to cut'n'paste it into a text document ...

Anyway, combat cars, or rather 'not-combat cars' ... I'll put them at the end of my never-ending list
Brigadier Tony

Postby Failure16 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:51 am

Brigadier Tony wrote:The Catroux now has a mortar carrier variant, and the LE also have a small calibre infantry gun too. Should be photos in the design studio soon

We don't believe you.

*kidding*

Brigadier Tony wrote:How on earth did you manage to read that !? I had to cut'n'paste it into a text document ...

Actually, you weren't supposed to be able to read it. Culpable deniability and all that :wink: . Hmm...Dremel, you say, eh, Jav? Not a half bad idea, sir. I must rescue it from its present abode across town at some point, then.

I wanted to paint up the technicaled-Thralls, but might just take in-progress pictures to give you guys an idea of where I'm going with them. The hover ACAV would be next if I had the proper tools at hand. Curses.
Failure16

Postby Brigadier Tony » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:17 am

We don't believe you.

Tomorrow night. No, really, tomorrow, when I get home from work (can't do it tonight as I'll be in the workshop - again - slaving over a hot casting machine). There will be new photos of new stuff, although they might get posted here first as it's quicker than updating the DS page.
Brigadier Tony

Postby javelin98 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:47 pm

I've successfully used my Dremel to mod some old plastic Epic Rhinos to be mortar carriers. I'll see if I can find them and take some pics.

This is my bit of choice for that kind of work (#125, on the far left):

I'm looking forward to seeing your enTHRALLing technicals!

(I admit that was a lousy joke...)
javelin98

Postby Failure16 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:33 pm

:) Oh, come on. it wasn't that bad.

Good bits to look for, Jav. Thanks for the heads up. And now, yet another project to leave unfinished...pfft. All considered though, putting together a Slammers force would be something else. Guess I'll see how the proof of concept goes before I decide if it is worth it, or simply a better bet to let Tony/Brigade do the hard work for me. I suppose we'll see.

Brigadier Tony wrote:Tomorrow night. No, really, tomorrow, when I get home from work (can't do it tonight as I'll be in the workshop - again - slaving over a hot casting machine). There will be new photos of new stuff, although they might get posted here first as it's quicker than updating the DS page.

We demand photographic evidence of such claims, good sir. Demand, I say! :P

And speaking of which:

The one on the left is sans/gun-shield but has the webbing that will be used as a test-run for cam-netting. We'll see how it goes. I originally wanted to do 1-2 crew, but I'm not so sure at this point. Maybe later...?
Failure16

Postby Brigadier Tony » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:16 am

If you want smaller, wheeled technicals, I've just finished a 6-wheeled open-backed Javelot variant - it's intended as a small gun tractor for the EuroFed LE, but will make an excellent little gun platform
Brigadier Tony

Next

Return to Iron Cow General