Command Value and Movement

Command Value and Movement

Postby Milkcow » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:12 pm

Hello rules lawyers.
We have been actively play testing Land Ironclads at the local clubs in preparation for a game being planned for Fall In this November. Plays clean but one rule mechanic is driving us nuts and hopefully if someone explains it it will make sense. If a unit has a high Command value, (supposably a good thing), why does it have to move first in a game where damage doesn't take effect until the end of the turn? This has made a high Command value a serious liability in every game we have played. Where is the silver lining I'm missing?
Milkcow

Postby Wessex Steve » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:14 pm

From Matthew:

I have to say it wasn't a huge problem in our playtests, and being able to grab useful bits of terrain first was a distinct bonus. Moreover (silver lining time) CV does a lot more than determine turn sequence - determining morale break level, rallying if broken, and the ability to disengage from melee for a start.

If you are still really unhappy with the movement I'd suggest this:

"At the beginning of a turn a player may announce that ALL his units with a given command value will move/fire at a specified LOWER command value that turn. For example a player with 6 units with a CV of 5 could declare that all the 6 units would activate in the CV 1 phase for that turn".

Let us know if that solves your problem.

Matthew Hartley
Steve Blease
Wessex Games
Wessex Steve

Postby answer_is_42 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:58 pm

To be brutally honest, the movement by command values is the one aspect of the rules I leave out of my games. I find them slightly cumbersome and unnecessary. Most countries have the same CV for all their units anyway, so it makes little difference. The rules are much quicker to play with this change, without losing any of their period 'feel'.
answer_is_42

Postby Milkcow » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:20 pm

Hadn't run into the Terrain aspect. Guess we need to add more of it. :) Bob and I have discussed the each person chooses first or last for their command level but IMHO that got really messy quick when we had 6 players. We had trouble getting folks to move in correct order going by the current rules! Thank you both for your suggestions, if we do work out something we think worked with larger games we will post it.

Thanks
Milkcow

Postby Milkcow » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:09 pm

Matthew:
I'm getting slow, I had to think about it for a bit before the reason for the daja hit. I've had this conversation with a British rules writer, (who's name shall not be spoken), before. Without using too broad a brush, (i.e. exceptions are the rule), British players tend to think piling on to be unsportsmanlike and the rules are written and playtested without this being even considered. The previous ruleset issue I mentioned earlier arose when my son sat off and generated about 30 fighter groups then swarmed one starship after another. The starship would destroy one fighter group and the 30 fighter groups would distroy one starship. It was unstoppable. When I posted the problem I was told by multiple players that should not be a problem in a real game. Then I guess someone used the tactic at Salute and cleaned house. The forum uproar was hysterical and a knee jerk rule change ensued. And was modified again, and again. The game never played right with fighters.
Maybe I'm just a nasty person and hang with fellow evil minded folks but if in a game of LI a high value target moves first I'm going to move every piece I can to engage it. Classic example - playing against Martians. Unless fielding a mega army they break the first downed Tripod. They have to move and shoot first. I will then move everything I can get to move to engage a single Tripod. (Gretchens are incredibly nasty at this tactic.) The Tripod can't escape because I always get to move after him and because damage is only assesed at the end of the round he can't decrease my strike before I pound him. One, two max, rounds I have them routed. He may have gotten two Gretchens. I can now move in my heavies, I still can react to his moves, he never gets to react to me with out facing a round of damage.
Sorry to be so long winded. My brother in law is British and it never ceases to fascinate me how two so similar cultures can think so differently in game play. Our games are interesting. :D
Milkcow

Return to Land Ironclads Miniatures