Newbie to painting & gameing: questions about Celtos

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Newbie to painting & gameing: questions about Celtos

Postby Gael Ridire » Thu May 19, 2011 9:32 am

Clicking on links and came onto Celtos which caught my attention. I'm a big fan of the Celtic/Gaelic culture, and this game appears to be it (in an odd way). I love the combining of fantasy & history & myth. Love the kilts, the pipes (why not pipers for the Gaels too!). I have two of my son/daughter-in-laws who play games, so I'm looking at this as being the family game (with me painting it all! The others are in college studying?).

1 Is this game fun? How long is a typical game?

2 Is the game easy to learn? (In high school some decades ago got Panzerblitz and it lost me in reading the stupid manual).

3 Does one need to have all five armies/groups/nations to play the game?

4 How many pieces are needed to play? Two players? Three players? Four & five players?

5 How many pieces does each person need?

6 Does a champion have a band they lead? Can this be for another player? Can more then five people play?

7 Is there a vendor in the USA? Although well priced, I'm medically retired and on a fixed budget, plus the dollar to pound ratio & shipping overseas takes money away from this hobby. This will take time to acquire.

Having never done any gaming, other then there are five vying for control of Goria, what else is there? After one has the foundation of the game, can they then write their own story?

I can't think of anymore questions at this time, but if anyone can fill me in it would be wonderful!

As for me I'm a retired photojournalist & also taught for 9 yrs at a local university on photojournalism. My interests are obviously photography, wood carving, learning about Celtic/Gaelic history & culture, and finally genealogy and heraldry. In fact I just finished my pedigree (for the moment), it took me just over 30 years. Now it's time to do something else and I decided on painting. This Friday, 20 May 2011, I will be painting my first figure, it shall be a learning experience! Oh ya, I'm married with three grown children (does that mean I can regress now?). :D
Gael Ridire

Re: Newbie to painting & gameing: questions about Celtos

Postby durulz » Thu May 19, 2011 1:22 pm

Hello Gael Ridre.
As one of the playtesters I'll try to give as good an answer as I can. If Tony or Phil (from Brigade) say different then I'd take their word for it over mine.

1/ Of course it's fun! How long? Well, that all depends. But I reckon if you had the forces as supplied in a Brigade large army pack you can reckon on a game lasting up to a couple of hours. The more familiar you get with the rules (and your armies) the quicker games flow, only naturally. As you learn any game you always find the first few games are a bit slow whilst everyone gets to know the rules.

2/ Have you ever wargamed before? Wargaming is more complex than games such as Monopoly, but they do have their own consistencies. Having never read Panzerblitz I couldn't make a comparison, but having played many other wargames I can say that Celtos is far easier than most (and getting easier!).

3/Nope. You just need two armies - one for each side. But they could be two human armies, two Fomorian armies in fact...two of anything. Or they could be two different armies. Two armies is all you need - whether they're the same 'race' or different is up to you. Getting different races will give a more varied game since they all have their own unique traits, strengths and weaknesses. But getting different races will mean you will have to learn one or two extra rules for each, and getting two of the same means you can combine them to make one big army when you decide to expand your collection. But the simple answer is no - you don't need all five different races.

4 & 5/ You can have multiple players per side. To start with that may be a good idea since each player will have fewer figures to control whilst they get used to the game. Each army is split into warbands, each of which is led by a hero. A warband has between 6 and 12 figures (typically). And a good sized army may have about 5 or 6 warbands (but can have less or more). Having each player controlling two or three warbands is a good way to start.

6/ Yes. To all.

7/ I have no idea. I don't think so. You'd have to see what Tony or Phil say about American suppliers.

8/ The game is yours to do with as you please. It has an established history and background but it's your game as much as it is anyone else's and you are free to add new races, new spells, new abilities. If you do and they work successfully then I am sure Brigade would love to hear and they may even find their way in to future supplements.

Hope all that helps. If Tony or Phil say anything to contradict what I have said then you should take their word for it.
durulz

Postby kendrick72 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:08 pm

Fantization.com is an American company and have Celtos on their site.
kendrick72

To Kendrick 72 & Durluz

Postby Gael Ridire » Sun May 22, 2011 12:02 am

Thanks so much for answering my questions! Well I'm plunging in saving the funds! :lol:
Gael Ridire

Postby Brigadier Tony » Wed May 25, 2011 7:51 am

First up, welcome aboard !

7. Is there a vendor in the USA?

Durulz has already done a great job of answering your questions, but I thought I'd confirm that, as kendrick mentioned, Steve at Fantization carries the Celtos range. Anything he doesn't have in stock he can order from us.
Brigadier Tony

Cool thanks for the reply

Postby Gael Ridire » Wed May 25, 2011 8:25 am

Cool, I went to Fantization website and checked things out. Need a magnifier first and local hobby shop's doesn't go on sale for a couple of months. So during the wait I'm designing and making a ring-fort. Looking forward to painting and gaming. :D
Gael Ridire

Return to Celtos General