Update on Celtos

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Update on Celtos

Postby Germ » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:28 pm

Hi all, there's an update on the Brigade Blog giving a teaser of Celtos.
We are currently playtesting so expect more updates, pictures and comments.

Germ

Postby hairynorseman » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:41 am

The movement trays/ unit bases (shown on the blog) look cool and I can see some interesting possibilities for scenic bases.

Is the plan to sell these separately or will they come with the units?

Just wondering how the play testing is going and if there is a rough idea of when any beta rules will be out?

Also, with Salute less than 3 months away if we can expect anything for Celtos?

Cheers
HN
hairynorseman

Postby Brigadier Tony » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:30 am

Is the plan to sell these separately or will they come with the units?

We're undecided on this one; I'm leaning towards selling units packs without bases, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Just wondering how the play testing is going and if there is a rough idea of when any beta rules will be out?

We have a playtest session planned for this weekend, which is the first time the rules will have been played by anyone outside of the inner circle of people who've developed the game. Once we've collated all of their feedback then we might be ready to recruit a small number of external playtesters to do some proper beta-testing.

Also, with Salute less than 3 months away if we can expect anything for Celtos?

I fear that Salute may arrive a bit to soon for us to do a full launch of new Celtos :cry: There are some new figures being sculpted for us, but I think it's unlikely that we'll release those without the rules being ready. That's not a definitive no, but at the moment I'd say we were 70:30 against being ready in time.
Brigadier Tony

Postby hairynorseman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:16 am

Thanks for your reply Tony.

With the unit bases I suppose I can understand the arguments for including and excluding them. I suppose if I was to get into the new game then I'd be inclined to get bases at the same time as the minis. After all, as I understand it, they aren't like movement trays in that there in a specific number of minis to a base. Some people might like to save the cost of the bases to buy more minis though. Perhaps a deal, buy a box of minis and get a base a bit cheaper?

Nice to hear there's some new minis being sculpted.

Good luck on the playtest! :D

HN
hairynorseman

Postby Brigadier Tony » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Certainly it would be easy for us to offer units packs of 10 figures both with and without the bases - it's just another line on the website after all. And we'd make the bases cheaper if they were in packs. I'm keen not to alienate gamers who want to buy the figures for a different game system, or who want to make their own bases, by forcing them to buy bases they don't want.

I also plan to make the blank bases available on Shapeways, so that anyone who wants to can make and cast their own designs (the blanks are quite expensive tho').
Brigadier Tony

Re: Update on Celtos

Postby hairynorseman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:41 pm

So, with 4 out of the 5 races getting an introduction on the blog and Salute around the corner can we expect anything? Perhaps some playtest rules, WIP sculpt photos or maybe even a new release?

Cheers
HN
hairynorseman

Postby Brigadier Tony » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:46 pm

Salute has come round too soon for us - although the rules have come on nicely, all of the peripheral things that go into making a complete set of rules (background text, photographs, diagrams, even just determining the style and layout of the pages) isn't there yet. We'd rather take our time and get things right. Having sat down and calculated how much work still remains, we're looking at late summer/early autumn.

Playtest rules - we probably need one more round of internal playtesting before we think about going outside the development team and our local band of playtesters. But we are starting to put flesh on the bones of the rules in terms of the background.

WIP sculpts - funnily enough I did received photos of five new models from a sculptor yesterday, and another from a different sculptor on Friday. We have both traditional sculpts on the works and we're also experimenting with digital sculpting using a 3D modeller who's worked in TV, film and games before, but not miniatures - but he's incredibly keen to be doing this, it's new for him, and I can't wait to see how it'll work out. We haven't decided at what point we'll start previewing new models - probably 2-3 months before the release date. But we might start dropping teasers a bit sooner now that we have figures in hand and can start putting them in moulds.

New releases - no, there doesn't seem any point in dribbling out a few odd new figures now, we'll wait until the rules are ready and do it properly.
Brigadier Tony

Postby hairynorseman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:54 am

Thanks Tony. I can understand your reluctance on releasing a half done project. I look forward to seeing how things develop over the year.

HN
hairynorseman

Postby akei » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:32 am

A small balance sheet of what is made and remains to make for Celtos would be welcome.
For my part, I would already like to acquire trays circular for the units!
Do rules plan new units for every army? A small translation in French will be also welcome...
akei

Postby akei » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:09 am

Am I the last player interested in celtos?
akei

Postby Brigadier Tony » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi Akei

No, I would hope you aren't the only one interested ! I'm sorry no-one replied to your previous post - I didn't spot it.

Progress has unfortunately slowed over the summer, one of the two main developers of Celtos has been sidetracked by a house move - such is way of things when we're doing this in our spare time.

In answer to your previous questions - we are almost there with the core rules, there are a couple of wrinkles to be ironed out as soon as we have time. Then the army lists need to be finalised and the points system worked out (we decided to get the rules sorted before worrying about the points system - that way the points values will properly reflect the capabilities of units under the rules).

We don't yet have the bases available for sale (in fact we've had to remaster some of them, the holes for the figure bases were slightly too small). If you want to make your own then they are exactly the same size as a CD (which is entirely deliberate).

We won't be releasing translations of the rulebook this time - we have German and French versions of the old rulebook and no-one buys them, even the French and Germans buy the English language version ! We've even taken the foreign language copies to Crisis in Antwerp and still the customers there buy the English book - go figure :?

We do plan new units for every army - off the top of my head we already have some or all of the figures for two new Sidhe unit types, one Gael type, and sculpting in hand for Fir Bolg and Vanir units. The Fomorians are missing out so far, but we do have plans for them.

I was going to post a photo of one of the new sculpts just to whet your appetite, but I don't have any to hand at the moment, so I'll post that later.
Brigadier Tony

Postby hairynorseman » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:35 am

Yes please for a photo of a new sculpt! :D
hairynorseman

Postby akei » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:12 am

I agree with hairynorseman!
Photos of new sculptures, it is always good! I hope that everything is going to move forward fast now.
For the trays of movement, if I wait to be able to buy it, it is good not to annoy me to make them!
akei

Postby Brigadier Tony » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:47 am

Here we go then ... it wasn't the figure I was originally going to post but I can't find a picture of that one !

He's part of a new Sidhe unit - a Pike Block. We see the Sidhe as being the most militarily-organised race, and they will fight in coherent units rather than the irregular warbands which comprise most of the forces of the other races.

Brigadier Tony

Postby hairynorseman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:21 pm

The sculpt looks good though some of the detail is unclear, I'm sure a paint job would sort that out :D

Not sure what to make of the pike block idea. To be honest I'm still a little unsure about the changes to Celtos but it would be silly of me to make a judgement based solely on a few snippets of info. I look forward to seeing some rules though I understand the hold up.

HN
hairynorseman

Next

Return to Celtos General