Celtos equivalent for an odd army…

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Celtos equivalent for an odd army…

Postby Zophiel » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:32 am

I sincerely hope this isn't seen as spam. If it is, I won't be offended if the topic is deleted.
I'd like to know what the Celtos terms and rules for this would be…

I think I may eventually have to buy a fair number of Celtos miniatures but there's an army I would need to make first. Unfortunately, there's not one figure in it that would come from the Celtos range. Here's why…

My two favorite films are Lawrence of Arabia and El Cid. I view it as coincidental that both of these stories involve Muslim armies — but it probably isn't by chance that my ideal, fantasy army would look something like this:

Caliph: Turkish pirate captain
Vizier: One of the characters from the Ottoman High Command.
The mounted figures from this pack would make up the Cavalry Command. The remaining figures (on foot) would round out the HQ.

Other Characters could include:
Sallah - Arabian Hero,
Aziz al-Jawar - Evil Sorcerer w/skull,
Urji - Arab Pirate,
Baalbek the Mad (of Jalahandra),
• the Shadow Assassin of Jalahandra,
• the Barbary Mage; and
• an Imam.

I'd like to include Fenryll's Le Repos du Guerrier, Le vaisseau du désert, and Les Aventuriers du désert if I could be certain they were 28mm scale.

Cavalry:
Zembuk Camel Gunners,
Arabs on Camels, and/or
Mounted Arabs with Rifles.
Supporting this would be some/all of Muslim High Command Personalities* and the Arab mounted musicians*

Infantry:
Arabs attacking with rifles,
Ottoman Irregular Arquesbusiers and/or
Ottoman Infantry Handgunners.
Supplementing the infantry would be Moorish Drummers and Moorish Standard Bearers.

Artillery:
• 4 teams of Naffatah 'Fire Troops'* and
• 4 Turkish Mortars and Crew.

Special:
• On flying carpets — the Turkish pirate first mate and one of each of the Turkish pirates with muskets.
• A second team of carpet-rides would be led by the non-Chaotic member of the Akhun and Khotan pair, with one of each of the Servants of Set.

• Up to 4 (though the lore suggests 5) Inferno Demons standing in as djinn.

And just to make it look a bit more authentic — yeah, I know authenticity goes out the window with djinn and flying carpets — Wheeled Mantlets, Hussite Gun Wagons, and Hussite War Wagons.

* See "Select a range"
Mens regnum bona possidet
Zophiel

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:01 am

well certainly not spam

I'll let you into a secret - we wanted to do a 28mm VSF/early 20thC game with new figures......

2 reasons we didn't:

1 we didn't have £100k :roll:
2 Celtos was a LOT cheaper :P

Obviuously when we have overtaken the evil empire in sales we will have the 100k for the vsf GAME

I like your troops though

Steve

Re: Celtos equivalent for an odd army…

Postby celtoslegion » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:42 am

Zophiel wrote:I'd like to know what the Celtos terms and rules for this would be…

This looks like a nice army - Did I understand you right, you want to play this army with Celtos rules?
celtoslegion

Postby Ben Brownlie » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:10 pm

Unfortunately there is no equivalent for that amount of firepower. units with ranged capability are few and far between in the game and having that type of army would seriously skew the balance

You'd be better off using a moderns or scifi setting if you wanted to use those minis in new surroundings imo

But the idea is cool so I'm all for it when Steve gets rich and splashes out :D
Badger Loving Flufster
Ben Brownlie

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:14 pm

that's right

a new VSF game using celtos rule mechanics

mmmm......

Steve

Re: Celtos equivalent for an odd army…

Postby Zophiel » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:12 pm

celtoslegion wrote:This looks like a nice army - Did I understand you right, you want to play this army with Celtos rules?

The short answer:
Yes.

The long answer:
There are a couple ways to go with this army. One is to buy the figures, paint them, and let them sit. I have enough surfaces on which to display my dust collection.

I'm aware of Warhammer's historical battles series and there are at least two rulebooks that cover some of the sort of army I started this thread with — but they have no rules for flying carpets. In the fantasy battles, these might count as warhawks or pegasi, but those creatures are allowed attacks of their own. What does a carpet hit you with?

So, as I'm happy to be a customer of Brigade due to Aeronef, and the Celtos miniatures do look great — I thought I'd ask what the above army would count as in Celtos terms.

Note:
There's also these, which may prove more conventional — not to mention affordable.
Zophiel

Postby celtoslegion » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:50 pm

OK, now I understand.

With a little tweaking, you should be able to get some decent results.

The magic carpet could count as giving the "Glide" special rule to the attached character for example.

All the other units should also work by approximating from existing units.

For the ranged bit, I second Ben, but since Celtos is basing on the Void gameengine, you might take a rule or two out of there for balance reasons.

My advice would be to get the two Celtos books (Rulebook and Gael army book) and start making up something of your own.
celtoslegion

Postby Zophiel » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:16 pm

Now, when it comes to real Celtos figures, I'm going to have to go with the Fir Bolg. But, as I seem to have a thing for flying cavalry, I may have to add:

The Winged Wraith Hussar and/or Mounted Wraith Guard Flying Cavalry

And I know this is an Unavoidable Purchase.

Edit: As it turns out that was and unavoidable purchase. Noting that the Winged Hussars might make up a significant portion of my cavalry, I started to look around for something that would make the Charon-&-Skiff "centerpiece" a closer match. Assassin Miniaturen's "Succubus in Chains" has very nearly the same wings as the Hussars. I suspect the minor differences will disappear with the right paint job.

I quickly ordered two of the succubi (as it is limited to 200 castings) along with the Charon. One each succubus the ends of the chains are secured to a rock. After a little careful cutting I'll be mounting the chains to the bow of Charon's boat.

Now imagine the whole thing on a large flying base…
Zophiel

Postby Zophiel » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:45 am

Here's the succubus I'm talking about, in case anyone is having trouble finding a picture of the Assassin Miniature:

I suspect that the real Celtos parts of the army will mainly be the skeletons (with an emphasis on scythe and sickle). I may add a few Spectre Warriors for the sake of diversity.
Zophiel

Postby Zophiel » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:57 am

Zophiel wrote:And I know this is an Unavoidable Purchase.

It arrived today, which is much faster than I expected.
Zophiel

Postby Zophiel » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:40 am

And the two succubi have arrived now, as well. This isn't quite a committment to an undead army as my main fantasy expression — but it doesn't bode quite as well as I suspect the Persians might have hoped.

Stay tuned…
Zophiel

Postby Zophiel » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:23 am

I didn't exactly give up on my non-traditional army but it has taken a back seat to Aeronef and both Colonial American and pulp-era figures (in 28mm). But I found something today, which I've just ordered three of, that are absolutely essential for any non-traditional tabletop army. It caused me to reimagine the theme.

At the far bottom of this page (http://www.retrokit.net/12.html) you'll find it. Yes, I'm making you click...
Zophiel

Postby Zophiel » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:00 am

The da Vinci tanks have not yet arrived but I think I've finally figured out what the rest of the units may look like. Old Glory's PIS line of Renaissance Italians provide pikemen, arquebusiers (both mounted and on foot), command figures, artillerymen, and condottieri. There may be an error on their website about the arquebusier footmen but the # of figures from OG would be between 110 and 130.

Supplementing this with more character-esque Wargames Foundry miniatures would add a mounted command and some personality. The full army thus described could be nearly 144 figures (plus the tanks).

Anyone curious about the planned look can visit the OG site for PIS-01, -04, -07, -10, -11, and DIF-27. There's a possibility of the OGDE-09 Wheeled Mantlets. The WG figs in question include REN 1/7 and 2/4, and SB 2/1.

There's something else that may be added but I'm waiting on an eBay auction before I'm specific.

Additional: The Wargames Foundry sets mentioned above have been orderd. The Old Glory stuff will have to wait a bit.
Last edited by Zophiel on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zophiel

Postby Zophiel » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:16 pm

I won the eBay auction! What's a da Vinci-based army without a Leonardo?

This is the "Warhammer Imperial Engineer" Leonardo of Miragliano but it is clearly modeled on the real inventor. I hadn't known they made one (apparently in 1992) until about two days ago.

I'm kind of excited now.
Zophiel

Postby Zophiel » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:34 pm

There are two Warhammer (Empire) figures that suit my plans and I bought them today — the mounted Master Engineer and the one on foot at the right on the bottom of the page — http://uk.games-workshop.com/empire/miniature-gallery/6/.

The rest of the Empire figures I've so far seen are either a little too Empire or just too expensive considering the other options.
Zophiel

Return to Celtos General