Celtos - Development Plans

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Celtos - Development Plans

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:01 pm

I thought it about time I updated you all on what we are doing with Celtos, and how we plan to develop it over the next 12 months.

As you may know, we acquired Celtos from Urban Mammoth in June 2005. At that stage it was suffering from being a bit unloved, and certainly had not had any investment for some time.

It also happened that we acquired Celtos just as I started my own business, so it has had to take a back seat for a year or so while that took priority.

Anyway, that’s not to say we haven’t been doing anything in the meantime. We have formed a small team to go over the rules, and also to expand the background fluff of the races. This work has been going on for a while now, and is nearly complete.

In developing the new backgrounds and troops for each race we have tried to give each one some unique characteristics in they way they do battle. This is ongoing, and therefore subject to change, but the current ‘traits’ applied to each race are:

Gaels
Troops fight in same-type units with a free mix of troop types in each army.

Vanir
Army uses has a strong bias to skirmish troops with an iron core of infantry.

Sidhe
Army is based upon elemental castes with a core of generic troops. Unit structure and formation is very prescribed and regimented.

Fomorian
The main offensive unit is the orc horde. This is large unit that sweeps the table looking to pile into any enemy unit.

Fir Bolg
This army uses zombies and other undead to terrorise the enemy. They can summon up all sorts of new troops during a battle. Generally weaker, but loads of them…

We do not see a tremendous amount of change to the rules, just some tweaking here and there. One of the objectives of the revamp is to make sure the game remains Fast, Fun & Bloody :P .

It is anticipated that the final published rulebook will contain all the background fluff etc. for all 5 races. This will be a printed document, although we may have a ‘pdf’ as well.

As a result of the work done, new figures and troop types have been developed, and we are busy commissioning new artwork and sculpts right now. We anticipate that we will need some 30+ new figures, from grunts to dragons…. The Vanir and Sidhe are the main recipients, but all races will have something new…

We anticipate launching the new rules towards the end of this year, as well as many of the new models as we can. Over the next few months we will start to issue some brief, tasteful glimpses of the work that has been completed. If you would like to keep up to date with what’s going on then joining our forum or yahoo group via the website is the best way.

What attracted us to the range was the great range of fantastic figures it has. We are determined to make sure that the new models keep up this standard, and Celtos returns as a great game with great models.

Steve

Celtos

Postby manic _miner » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:38 pm

Nice to have an update Steve.Really looking forward to seeing the game expand.
My money will be waiting for new miniatures to appear.
manic _miner

New Releases

Postby manic _miner » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:19 pm

Hi Steve
Any chance of a few miniatures to keep us going in the meantime :lol: .
Would love to have a couple of the Vanir Standard to add to my collection.
manic _miner

Postby Paboook » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:04 am

Great news! I like the idea of "hard summoning Fir Bolg" and the different style of all armies. :)

I hope you will do it till the end of the year. But better tested good rules few moths later than untested few moths sooner.
Paboook

Celtos

Postby manic _miner » Mon May 28, 2007 6:34 pm

Any chance of an update and a few sneek peeks please.Some new art or such.
manic _miner

Celtos

Postby manic _miner » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:19 pm

Is any one else reading this forum.

I would really like to see some new info on the way Celtos is progressing or has it died and been burried next to Leviathan :lol: .
manic _miner

Postby Zophiel » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:38 pm

I read everything - not just the Aeronef stuff. :)

I'm eventually going to order something from the Celtos range, I just haven't quite decided which faction is most attractive. Of course, a set of Horsemen of the Apocalypse would immediately make my decision for me - particularly if they came in mounted and on-foot postures.

Even if these Horsemen were made in an unofficial capacity...
Mens regnum bona possidet
Zophiel

Postby joshuaslater » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:14 pm

I think you're doin' it right. You obviously have to take care of your own affairs first. Celtos is in the hands of a true fan, you own the IP, but it's not going to be a large company like GW or Reaper.

I say, TAKE YOUR TIME, and make sure the rules set and fluff are done right, the artwork adds to the pre-existing work, which is beautiful, and put everything under one book, armies included. Army books are probably not the way to go when you've only five and need to re-establish the game and models in people's minds.

I've got lots of Celtos models and have never even played the game!!

I can wait prolly another few years before I paint half of'em!! I plan on buying your new book when it comes out and hopefully getting the game going over my way, but I'm going to be patient.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter Smile Kindly Upon You.
joshuaslater

Postby Wendigo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:00 pm

Those plans sound good.

In my (humble) opinion the rules do not really need any change, but a review of the armies would be nice.
The point that always struck me was the fact, that Warriors with 1 Handweapon and with Spears cost the same for some armies (Vanir for example) and that those two equipment choices are versimilar to each other and 2 onehanded Weapons.

And since I'm on it I'll write two other points that I would like to see implemented (just ignore them if yiou don't like them):
1.) A review of the Heros and their points towards Skills, Rituals and Artefacts. Warriors knowing Spells works fine for Fir Bolg and Sidhe (fluffwise) but feels odd for Vanir, Gael and Fomorians.
2.) Will there be 4 different Spelllists for the Sidhe? I.e. One for each element, so my Serpents need to choose which school they'll use (Probably reducing the avilability of sorcerers to 1 or 2 different schools for an army).

A little sneak peek would be nice.

I really appreciate it that you are working on Celtos. But as was said before: Better late and good than quick and clumsy. So take your time.
Wendigo

Plans

Postby manic _miner » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:03 pm

Hi Steve
Just wondering what is happening with Celtos at the moment?I know you had some pre-release miniatures at Salute.Do you plan on releasing them soon?
manic _miner

Postby akei » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:09 pm

Hello,

I have any questions about Celtos...
When will go out the news? What is the future of Celtos? Brigade model has he a plan(shot) of a realy development ?
Shall see we of new units and new profiles? The books of army of vanirs, does Sidhes, Fomorian and Fir Bolgs go even in the daytime?
Thank you for the answers, me me interhook many in this game and I begin.

Akei
akei

miniatures

Postby manic _miner » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:55 pm

Any updates as to when and what will be coming out for Celtos?

Just ordered the new Blood Reaver pack.Will make a nice addition to the force I am working on.

Are the Fir Bolg skeletons coming out soon?
manic _miner

Postby Wendigo » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:59 pm

So,

it's been nearly two years now since Steve posted this news. Is there anything new about Celtos you can tell us? Frankly, I really like it, that the new miniatures are coming out, but I think the revised rulebook would be great to promote the game, and I am eagerly looking forward how you guys expanded the coll (but basic) fluff from Urban Mammoth.
Wendigo

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:23 pm

As you say - nearly two years....

Well you can all blame me.... I started my own business 3 years ago and that as taken a lot of my time. Having said that I have establsihed a playtest/development team who have been working behind the scenes.

A further delay involved a major expansion of my business followed by a rapid recession :roll: . As you can appreciate this further delayed my pushing Celtos developments through. Whilst this is still not quite there (come on banks get lending) I have picked up the reins again and we have started on Celtos again.

So where are we??????

Well

We have new fluff/backgrounds done for each race just about:P
We have new designs and some new models scultpted for the new fluff :P
(you should see the new Sidhe Pikemen :wink: )
We have several rule changes at the final do we/don't we stage, and are hence being playtested as we speak. :P

Our plan is to finish all these of this year with a view to releasing the new work early 2010. Some way off I know but, well, you know..... :oops:

It will be a longtime coming I know, but such is the life of a ruleset in development hell in a very part-time company.

I shall try a post some tasteful glimpses of our work over the next few months to keep you going....

Steve

Miniatures

Postby manic _miner » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:43 pm

Nice update Steve.

It all sounds very stressfull.

Looking forward to the release and new miniatures.

Will you be releasing new mini's before 2010 or when the new game comes out?

Good luck with this venture.The wait will be worth it I am sure.
manic _miner

Next

Return to Celtos General