Gaels painted with Army Painter technique

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Gaels painted with Army Painter technique

Postby BranFlayk » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:34 pm

I've used base coat, followed by dip in Army Painter quickshade and then their matt varnish.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27627912@N ... 426950038/

Quite pleased with how they turned out, and the "dip" approach saved a lot of time
BranFlayk

Postby Brigadier Tony » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:20 pm

They look good - the more I see of it, the more impressed I am with the Army Painter system
Brigadier Tony

Postby BranFlayk » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:04 pm

Thanks - I'd only bought the dip etc as I was confronted by 14 Gaels with no paint, and due to a lack of time these days figured it was worth a try.

I took a bit longer with the base colours and made sure that was as good as it could be, then used their "dip and shake" method.

Now I've just got another 12 Gaels to strip back to metal and can get them finished as well :D
BranFlayk

Postby Germ » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:03 pm

They do look good, I think I'll give Army Painter a go when I next do some Celtos minis. Thanks for puting up the pictures.
Germ

Postby hairynorseman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:23 pm

They look really good and I love the earthy tones. More pics on there way?

HN
hairynorseman

Postby mad mcgobbo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:43 pm

excellent results with minimum effort. best way forward I reckon :D
mad mcgobbo

Postby BranFlayk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:08 am

Well, its been a while :( but I finished all of the Gaels I had, and have done a unit of Sidhe archers. (Still have some more Sidhe warriors to do).

Am still impressed by how much quicker Army Painter lets me get a unit done. I just need to concentrate on a clean & tidy base coat (what i-Kore always referred to as Block Painting), then AP does the rest.

Will try and post some pics later. One thing I found, was that the Army Painter matt varnish seems to have "crackled" on some of the Gael models. Seems to have been due to doing it in a shed during the freeze we had recently. (Will get a close up pic of that as a warning to others).

The models aren't "ruined" - not enough to need stripping and starting over, and when they're in the middle of a unit they shouldn't stand out too badly.

Lesson learnt - next time I've got to varnish, bring the can indoors a few days before and let it get to a good temperature.
BranFlayk

Postby Brigadier Tony » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:20 am

When I have to spray anything in the winter (undercoat or varnish) I make sure both paint and models are at least at room temperature - I no longer store spray cans in the garage so that they're always ready to go. And if I can I try to get the models indoors to dry.

The Army Painter matt varnish is really excellent tho' - it gives a nice, matt protective coat - I'm very impressed with it
Brigadier Tony

Postby BranFlayk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:57 am

Thanks for that tip.

If the can is at room temperature, is it then ok to take it back out to shed for spraying? Or does the cold affect the spray as it comes out?

Wife may have something to say if I start spraying indoors!

I usually only keep them out for a few minutes after spraying then bring them back indoors.
BranFlayk

Postby Brigadier Tony » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:22 am

No, you can safely spray outdoors if models and can are already at room temperature - the few minutes outdoors doesn't harm them
Brigadier Tony

Re: Gaels painted with Army Painter technique

Postby Cauldron Born Josh » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:18 pm

Definitely loving the army painter color sprays. Great work on these.
Cauldron Born Josh

Return to Celtos Miniatures