Gael armybook

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Gael armybook

Postby drunkendwarf » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:30 pm

Hi, today I received the Gael armybook which looks very nice. At the moment I'm planning to create 2 Gael forces. The will just have a different colour kilt so I can combine them in one large army.

In the armybook I saw some units which aren't mentioned in the rulebook.
Does anyone knows if these units will get their own models?
(youths, berserkers, hunters, shield maidens).

I hope they will, I'm not fond on using proxies. And I also like the style the Gaels are sculpted.

DJ
drunkendwarf

Postby mad mcgobbo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:32 pm

Hi DJ,
the shield maidens are available in the Gael section of Brigade's catalogue, the others you would have to proxy for now.
mad mcgobbo

Postby Zophiel » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:04 am

In terms of proxies, Shadowforge makes some very nice fantasy figures.

I discovered them this week while pondering what I might get my brother for his birthday. He's a wargamer, chess enthusiast, and researcher of mythology. One of the long-standing obsession of his — with regard to the latter category — has been the Argonauts. This accounts for my discovering Shadowforge.

If you scroll down, however, you'll find that they also make some excellent slingers, tribal women warriors (including beserkers), and valkyries. With the valkyries — I'm not talking about the fat, Wagnerian opera sort — nor the "This weapon is heavy. Let's go have some fun." variety.

All of Shadowforge's work here seems realistically posed for battle and are well-sculpted. And, as they come from Australia, they wind up cheaper than a lot of US products. I suggest them for those who'll use proxies.

http://www.shadowforge.com.au/prod_pages/fantasy.html
Mens regnum bona possidet
Zophiel

Postby Ben Brownlie » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:52 am

mad mcgobbo wrote:Hi DJ,
the shield maidens are available in the Gael section of Brigade's catalogue

Not yet. Shield maidens haven't been sculpted

@DJ - Hi. The plan is that everything will be sculpted eventually, but in the meantime there are other proxies you could use for now within the range. For example, for hunters, you could use bondsmen and dogs from the King of the Hunt which are available separately as a pack of three (handy eh? ;) )

You could also use bondsmen as beserkers (just paint them differently to differentiaite) and with some weapon snips you can use them as youths too

You could always use Swordmaidens as shield maidens too... just glue shields to them :D

For outside proxies, Steders used some Norse beserkers from Foundry which looked good. Also, if you can still pick them up anywhere, Excelsior did a couple of dog models which were a bit on the big side but looked ok
Badger Loving Flufster
Ben Brownlie

Postby celtoslegion » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:13 am

Ben Brownlie wrote:Not yet. Shield maidens haven't been sculpted

Well, there is Rhianna Shieldmaiden as character....but as Ben says, you can build a Shielmaiden unit by converting a few existing models. Titania or the female standard bearer can be used for this for example.
celtoslegion

Postby mad mcgobbo » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:59 pm

Ben Brownlie wrote:
mad mcgobbo wrote:Hi DJ,
the shield maidens are available in the Gael section of Brigade's catalogue

Not yet. Shield maidens haven't been sculpted

@DJ - Hi. The plan is that everything will be sculpted eventually, but in the meantime there are other proxies you could use for now within the range. For example, for hunters, you could use bondsmen and dogs from the King of the Hunt which are available separately as a pack of three (handy eh? ;) )

You could also use bondsmen as beserkers (just paint them differently to differentiaite) and with some weapon snips you can use them as youths too

You could always use Swordmaidens as shield maidens too... just glue shields to them :D

For outside proxies, Steders used some Norse beserkers from Foundry which looked good. Also, if you can still pick them up anywhere, Excelsior did a couple of dog models which were a bit on the big side but looked ok

You are totally right there Ben, I meant sword maidens :oops:
mad mcgobbo

Postby drunkendwarf » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:14 pm

Is there already a timepath for al these miniatures? I was already thinking of using other Gaels for these units. For now I will be painting my other Gaels (appr. 75), I hope they will be finished in next year (I don't paint that much).

DJ
drunkendwarf

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:15 pm

we plan to confirm some timeplans in the next 2-3 months, and have already comissioned some models.

Watch this space...

Return to Celtos Miniatures