Work In Progress: "Black Cauldron"

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Work In Progress: "Black Cauldron"

Postby Jubilee » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:52 pm

Hey everyone!

I've been working on this one since around the beginning of the month. It went together really easily and there was only a bit of a gap between the center figure on the back, which was really easy to fill with green stuff and smooth out. :)

I wanted to do the black cauldron early in it's career - before it was burnt entirely black, so I painted it bronze and then glazed it with yellows, oranges, and reds along the bottom. Between it and the stuff under the cauldron, I'm having a hard time balancing the fire lighting things up vs. blackening it because it's, well, fire! So after I highlighted the stuff under the fire, I blackened it all with splotches of very thinned dark brown paint. I'm thinking of glazing it all orangeish or yellow, and then blackening again.. but I don't want all the base color to be lost, so I'm not sure what to do..

I also haven't yet worked out how I'm going to deal with the fact that these zombies are emerging from this viscous neon green fluid. I've thought about coating them with some water effects tinted green once they're painted, but then I thought maybe it's magical and it doesn't stick to the zombies? Because if I want to do some glowing green effects on them, most of it would then be lost if I then coated everything greenish.. *sigh* Also, I don't see the glow from the green as being very strong, so I haven't extended it very far from any spots the green touches.

Anyway, here's what I've got so far!

Does anyone know what the official name of this is? And who sculpted it?

Thanks for looking! Comments welcome and appreciated.. :)

/ali
Jubilee

Zombie Pot

Postby manic _miner » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:25 pm

Looking good so far Jubilee.The pot was a special done for people that done demo's for I-Kore along with several other miniatures.Not sure of the sculptor but I bet Ben knows how it was.
manic _miner

Postby Germ » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:02 pm

Oh I am so not showing my painted version now :roll:
Germ

Postby Ben Brownlie » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:23 pm

Interesting look on the cauldron Ali. I went far more... traditional on mine going for black with a far less luminescent gloop

If you can get the reflections from the fire balances just right with the sauce then that'll look pretty blinking outstanding
Badger Loving Flufster
Ben Brownlie

Postby Jubilee » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:28 pm

I really like the "spring green" triad from Reaper and am always looking for places I can use it to make it look glowy! It's one of my many bizzare painting quirks. ;)
Jubilee

Postby Germ » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:32 pm

I just did a boring old cauldron filled with blood :D
Germ

Postby Ben Brownlie » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:39 pm

@Ali - Glowy works :D Just keep the "shine" subtle. I like how it is reflecting off the rearmost zombie in the bottom picture. That level of glow would be perfect

@Germy - And so does blood. If I've got another of those pots around here the next one will get the TCR treatment with out a doubt :twisted:
Badger Loving Flufster
Ben Brownlie

Postby Jubilee » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:11 am

Ben Brownlie wrote:@Ali - Glowy works :D Just keep the "shine" subtle. I like how it is reflecting off the rearmost zombie in the bottom picture. That level of glow would be perfect

Funny you should say that - that's actually 'natural' reflection, as I haven't painted either zombie yet (there's a brighter green splotch where I was messy on his bracer, but otherwise, he's still white).

Thanks for pointing it out, though, because it'll make a good guide for when I do paint him =)

/ali
Jubilee

Return to Celtos Miniatures