How to make a Hell Gate

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

How to make a Hell Gate

Postby Germ » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:14 pm

I've just put up an article on how I made my own Hell Gate for my Fir-Bolg minions
The finished result looked like this
And you can read how I made it here

Enjoy 8)
Germ

Postby Brigadier Tony » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:56 pm

Great stuff, Germy !!

Tip - polystyrene glues well with PVA (white glue) 'cos it's water based. Avoid anything with solvents in (superglue, polystyrene cement - liquid or tube, Araldite-type epoxy, Evo-Stick etc) as the resulting fumes are very nasty (= death in large concentrations or confined spaces).

For an alternative Hell Gate I've got hold of a pre-painted skull from an aquarium shop - it needs a bit of tarting up and sticking on a base but it should look the business. I'm tempted to try and find some flickering red/yellow LEDs to make a hellish fire effect inside.

So when are you going to bring your FB army down to Brigade HQ ? You could team up with Durulz and make a mighty FB force.
Brigadier Tony

Postby Germ » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:12 pm

Brigadier Tony wrote:I'm tempted to try and find some flickering red/yellow LEDs to make a hellish fire effect inside.

That just has to be done :D

Brigadier Tony wrote:So when are you going to bring your FB army down to Brigade HQ ? You could team up with Durulz and make a mighty FB force.

Sounds like an invitation I can't refuse, I'll gather up the dead :twisted:
Germ

Postby durulz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:06 am

[quote="Germ"][quote="Brigadier Tony"]I'm tempted to try and find some flickering red/yellow LEDs to make a hellish fire effect inside.[/quote]

That just has to be done :D

[quote="Brigadier Tony"]So when are you going to bring your FB army down to Brigade HQ ? You could team up with Durulz and make a mighty FB force.[/quote]

Sounds like an invitation I can't refuse, I'll gather up the dead :twisted:[/quote]

I've got quite a sizeable force now. Three units of skellies, three of flesheaters, two units of banshee, a unit of wraiths, two units of skellie archers and a full complement of heroes!
Mmm...going to have to think about my own Hell Gate now. Mmm...I have a friend who works in zoological department in a university...wonder if I can get him to post me an animal skull of some description...Or will that be a bit too creepy, to have a genuine animal skull on the table.
Tony's tip about looking in Aquarium's is a good one though, for all sorts of oddments - castles, skulls, bizarre foliage, deep-sea divers...
durulz

Postby Germ » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:49 am

I can see this turning into "My Hell Gates bigger than yours" :D
Germ

Postby durulz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:27 am

[quote="Germ"]I can see this turning into "My Hell Gates bigger than yours" :D[/quote]

Mmm...I suppose you could make the base big enough for an Ipod, and then embed those Ipod speakers in the back of the actual gate and play downloaded ghostly sounds!
Except I must be the only person in the world who doesn't own an Ipod.
durulz

Postby Germ » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:56 am

I can see it now, a Hell Gate complete with glowing lights and Meat Loafs bat out of Hell pumping out from speakers mounted in the rocks........hmmm headphones could be used as the speakers, Maplins down the road would have something I could used to light it up........... :twisted:
Germ

Postby durulz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:10 pm

[quote="Germ"]I can see it now, a Hell Gate complete with glowing lights and Meat Loafs bat out of Hell pumping out from speakers mounted in the rocks........hmmm headphones could be used as the speakers, Maplins down the road would have something I could used to light it up........... :twisted:[/quote]

Actually, in garden centres you can buy lights that look like rocks for the...er, garden. Maybe you could add a whirly light filter to it, like you get in clubs. And a dry ice machine. And someone called Dave violently throwing up in the bogs.
durulz

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:15 pm

dave doesn't do that anymore

he goes outside

Postby Brigadier Tony » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:26 pm

Hmmm .. might need a trip to Maplins tomorrow, just for a look ... think I'll pass on Meatloaf tho'

Any other suggestions for suitably hellish music* ? 'Fire' by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown ?

(* - suggestions such as Des O'Connor is my idea of hell will be disregarded)
Brigadier Tony

Postby durulz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:32 pm

[quote="Brigadier Tony"]Hmmm .. might need a trip to Maplins tomorrow, just for a look ... think I'll pass on Meatloaf tho'

Any other suggestions for suitably hellish music* ? 'Fire' by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown ?

(* - suggestions such as [i]Des O'Connor is my idea of hell[/i] will be disregarded)[/quote]

Something by The Cramps! Just don't get bands like that anymore.
durulz

Postby durulz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:33 pm

[quote="Brigadier Tony"]Hmmm .. might need a trip to Maplins tomorrow, just for a look ... think I'll pass on Meatloaf tho'

(* - suggestions such as [i]Des O'Connor is my idea of hell[/i] will be disregarded)[/quote]

Could try 'Bela Lugosi's Dead' by Bauhaus.
durulz

Postby Germ » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:48 pm

Just made the Hell Gate with the backlit effect

Groovy 8)
Germ

Postby Ben Brownlie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:05 pm

Very groovy 8)

Nice job Germs
Badger Loving Flufster
Ben Brownlie

Postby Brigadier Tony » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:17 pm

Great stuff

Forgot to check out Maplins on Saturday for flickering LEDs (weather was so sh*t I didn't fancy walking to it) - I'd imagine nearer halloween would be a good time.
Brigadier Tony

Return to Celtos Miniatures