[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Brigade Models • View topic - SAC Assault Gun

SAC Assault Gun

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

SAC Assault Gun

Postby Erik M » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:56 pm

My dear Brigadiers, I think both SAC and Legion Etranger need an assault gun.
Neither feel as if they want a prolonged battle. Ie if it's not aschived in the first assault, then regroup and try another day, not try and try again.
But then they need something that can bust bunkers and flush trenches...

And where's those russians?! :shock:
Erik M

Postby Failure16 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:32 pm

I can get behind that. As generally useless as the assault gun concept in real-life has proved to be (in general, mind you), I dearly love the aesthetic behind them, and have no problem fielding them on the table.

I have found that the German aggie's hull lends itself to tracked (with balsa or plasticard) or wheeled (with Eurofed Legion chassis) with minimal effort. Pics to follow.

The SAC assault gun could easily be a Wildebeest conversion (sticking the gun to the left of the driver's compartment), but I'm having trouble with the Legion one. Ala Stryker MGS, perhaps?
Failure16

Postby Erik M » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:20 pm

I quess one could use the oliphant too. Shorter and fatter barrel, Done.
Erik M

Postby javelin98 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:54 pm

They also need a Calliope or MLRS variant, as well as a mortar carrier on the Wildebeest chassis. And a combat engineer vehicle.

Not that I'm biased, or anything, but a would be nice to see.

All in all, though, I love the aesthetic of the SAC line. Very nice designs, even with the absence of a .
Leo: (July 23—Aug. 22): The wheelchair and the indignity will be bad enough, but the worst part is going to be explaining to your wife exactly what you said to the genie to make him take off your legs like that.
javelin98

Postby Erik M » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:36 am

It's well to hear that you're not when it comes to . :lol:
Erik M

Postby Failure16 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:27 am

The command-variant Wildebeest might be a decent starting spot for a CEV. Or one could just mosey on over to GZG and nab a few of their bits to mod up one's own...but that woudl defeat the point, yes. I am still of the opinion that Brigade looking into the viability of a few dozer-blades, lift-hoists, and generic superstructures for CEV/ARVs could pay some dividends.

I will say that a Wildebeest-based mortar carrier wouldn't be an idea I could fully support. I think the Buffel would be better suited for the role (smaller, cheaper, more M113-like than Bradley-like, say). The MRLS would be a very nice add-on to the (hopefully up-coming) SAC heavy trucks. Reminiscent of the Valkiri, you see.

And, yes, where are those damn Russians? I have an nation in need of AFVs, gentlemen!
Failure16

Postby Erik M » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:12 am

Personally I think the Oliphant would work well. Esp as it only would be another version of the already assemblied gun.
Erik M

Postby Erik M » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:28 am

Indeed, where are them
Erik M

Postby Failure16 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:15 pm

I don't have anything particularly against using the Rhino/Oliphant as the basis for a SAC assault gun, especially as it would be essentially a turret-swap. I was just thinking of real-world ethos where the Wildebeest would be a cheaper choice for the role.

The more I think about it, I'm not too sure the Legion Etranger would really need an assault-gun type chassis. But more variants on the Catroux would be nice (ATGMV, though the salvo-rocket launcher functions in this role visually, mortar carrier, CEV/ARV, ADV, true MLRS...). Thoughts?
Failure16

Postby Erik M » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:03 pm

Well, not sure if I'm thinking to far outside the box, but I think 500mm bunker busters when I think assault gun. And probably very close...

As for the Etranger. My thought here is that most attacks are raids. A quick attack and an even quicker extraction. Ie they quite simply don't have time for finesse. And no time to move in. Drop as close to as possible and then extract further away (that's why using vehicles). Using wheeled vehicles would also fill the role of raid against/inside populated areas; there they are quick.
Erik M

Postby Failure16 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:05 pm

Hmm. I think that in that case, the SAC would need a close-assault version of the Rhino than a true assault gun. Similar to the EuroFed's variant Montsabert or the German's heavy-gunned Thor (the support variations).

Of course, a vehicle of either type (Rhino or Wildebeest) with a wonking big gun could easily translate into a CEV for javelin98...

I have always envisioned the Legion Etranger more as a patrol/stability/QR force than a raiding one. Let's face it, if GEVs are viable combat vehicles in the ICiverse, they have [probably/generally] better handling capabilities than a wheeled vehicle of similar weight and dimensions. I look at them like France's current 7th (Light) Armored Division or either of the Foreign Legion regiments (1st or 2nd REC).

Expeditionary forces sent out to assist friendly governments or help national interests either in lieu or in advance of follow-on forces. I suspect that the ICiverse is big enough for both of our ideas, however. :wink:

Last edited by Failure16 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Failure16

Postby javelin98 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:11 pm

Leo: (July 23—Aug. 22): The wheelchair and the indignity will be bad enough, but the worst part is going to be explaining to your wife exactly what you said to the genie to make him take off your legs like that.
javelin98

Postby Erik M » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:07 am

Erik M

Postby Failure16 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:00 pm

Well, ideally it wouldn't be quite as ridiculous..
Failure16

Return to Iron Cow Miniatures