[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Brigade Models • View topic - Fun with Sketchup!

Fun with Sketchup!

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Fun with Sketchup!

Postby javelin98 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:54 am

I was down sick all weekend, so I pulled up my laptop and started playing with Sketchup for the first time. Very cool program! Since I was just learning the ropes, I figured I would take something I knew and try to recreate it via Sketchup. I ended up giving the AmRep M41 Baumann IVF a go.

It isn't perfect, and I still am not sure what the heck I was doing with the front grille thingie, but not too bad, for a first effort. In the process, I decided to do it in 15mm scale, so each of those vehicles is roughly 50mm long and 35-ish wide.

I almost feel like I need to call in sick to work tomorrow...
Leo: (July 23—Aug. 22): The wheelchair and the indignity will be bad enough, but the worst part is going to be explaining to your wife exactly what you said to the genie to make him take off your legs like that.
javelin98

Postby javelin98 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:57 pm

Here is a modelling attempt of the NeoSov Bizon MBT:

Leo: (July 23—Aug. 22): The wheelchair and the indignity will be bad enough, but the worst part is going to be explaining to your wife exactly what you said to the genie to make him take off your legs like that.
javelin98

Postby Germ » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:01 am

Germ

Postby javelin98 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks, Germy!

Sketchup can export 3D models to Collada (.dae) format, which is one of the formats that Shapeways accepts for 3D printing, so I guess the answer is that it's a true CAD program, versus just a fancy version of MS Paint. I think the Baumann might be printable as it currently is, but the tracks on the Bizon would need significant re-working before they could be printed to a degree suitable for casting and molding.

I was playing around yesterday to see how long it would take me to whip together something from scratch, rather than copying an existing piece. Three hours later, I had some alien combat vehicles:

Now I need to start learning how to make curved and organic-looking surfaces. So far, though, I'd say that Sketchup is way easier to use than Rhino3D (I have an older copy of Rhino, but I've never been able to make it do much).

So... any suggestions on which Brigade vehicle I should practice on next?
javelin98

Postby javelin98 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:51 pm

So I've been chatting with a guy from TMP about making some vehicles for him to print out and cast, and in the process, we started talking about making conversion material. One of the specific things that came up was hoverskirts for converting modern vehicles to GEVs.

The concept would be to make segmented portions of hoverskirt that could be sliced to fit a particular vehicle, accompanied by corner pieces (either a tight 90º corner or a wider curve) that would then allow for the user to connect the trimmed straight pieces into a rectangular skirt all the way around the vehicle.

Another topic we kicked around was making turrets, interchangable weapons, rocket pods, armor plates, dozer blades, etc., in 15mm scale to allow Matchbox cars to be converted for Car Wars/Mad Max-type games. That's been on my wanna-see-it list for a long time, and now might be the time I can put it into operation. Depending, of course, on how well I'm able to use the program to draw them. I don't do casting, though, so it would be up to some prominent company to do that. *coughTony!cough*
javelin98

Postby javelin98 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:56 pm

Playing around some more, I Sketchupped a couple of aircraft, again in 15mm scale. First up is the Hornisse Interceptor from SquadComm. This model is roughly 113mm long, 115mm wide, and 22mm tall.

The original 6mm model:

Second is my attempt at making a sci-fi transport that fits the role and feel of the Mi-8 HIP helicopter, which is much more of a Russian workhorse transport than its sexier cousin, the Mi-24 HIND. In order to get that feeling of a transport, I made it very bumblebee-ish, with a wide body and plenty of carrying capacity. There's a ramp on the back that might be used to load a light recon vehicle, and also a belly hatch for use in observation and fast-roping assaults by the dismount squads inside. This model is 101mm long, 46mm wide, and 29mm high.

javelin98

Postby javelin98 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:44 am

I pulled out the AmRep Baumann the other day and started giving it some detail:

javelin98

Postby Brigadier Tony » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Brigadier Tony

Postby javelin98 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:32 am

Thanks, Tony! I already prepped the Hornisse for printing (hollowed it out and whatnot); I can send it to you if you want to use it.

I did some revamping on the HiP a while back. Here's what it looks like now:

javelin98

Return to 15mm Miniatures