[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Brigade Models • View topic - Alien Tripod!

Alien Tripod!

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Alien Tripod!

Postby javelin98 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:54 pm

This is a work in progress, but I wanted to share a bit of a preview. This Tripod is roughly 60mm tall and will be printed in pieces consisting of three legs, a "torso", the "head", and five tentacle-arms (one with heat ray, two with claws, and two with the "black gas" launchers, still under development). The legs were inspired by an amazingly beautiful kitbashed tripod I saw over on .

I'll add more pics later, once I get the missile launcher arms finished. I'm still pondering how to handle the specimen basket that the Tripods carried under their heads to store people in. I might just skip it.

The torso and head meet with a ball-and-socket connection, so the head can be tilted or turned as the hobbyist sees fit. The arms have pegs on them for a more secure connection to the torso (which has corresponding holes). The legs are not posable, I'm afraid. I just couldn't work out the mechanics on that one! There are slots for the legs to fit into, though, so they'll be pretty robust once glued in.

At 60mm tall, I figure it can be used as a smaller war machine for 15mm gaming or as one of the gargantuan Spielbergian monstrosities for 6mm gaming.

I'll add some more pics later this evening!

Thanks,
jav98
Leo: (July 23—Aug. 22): The wheelchair and the indignity will be bad enough, but the worst part is going to be explaining to your wife exactly what you said to the genie to make him take off your legs like that.
javelin98

Postby Failure16 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:48 am

That thing looks properly nasty. Very alien; I like both your version and the original, each in their own way.
Failure16

Postby javelin98 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:55 pm

Here are some additional shots of that puppy, first with the grabbing tentacles:

And then with the black gas launchers:

And here are what the components look like unassembled:

I've ordered one from Shapeways, so we'll see how it turns out!

Thanks,
jav98
Leo: (July 23—Aug. 22): The wheelchair and the indignity will be bad enough, but the worst part is going to be explaining to your wife exactly what you said to the genie to make him take off your legs like that.
javelin98

Return to 15mm Miniatures