Artillery Question

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Artillery Question

Postby Echo5Hotel » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:13 pm

When a unit gets struck by an artillery attack, which defensive factor is used to resolve the penetration? F,S,or R? Part of me says the weakest portion but then another part of me wants to give the unit the benefit it of the doubt and use it's strongest defensive factor. I know it is Front Side Rear but with an artillery attack none of the above may apply.
Echo5Hotel

Postby Failure16 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:58 am

This is an excellent question, and one that does not have a clear-cut answer on pages 15-16 of the rulebook.

I have seen it played two ways:

1) Elements being attacked by artillery take damage based on the arc facing the direction of the attack, in the same fashion as an attack by direct-fire (reasoning: ease and uniformity of play)

2) Elements being attacked by artillery take damage on their Rear Arc (reasoning: artillery will be making a "top attack" and therefore will normally be striking the less-protected portions of an AFV); if that seems too lethal, consider using the Side Arc Defensive Values

Personally, in my games I went with the second option as it seems more realistic to me (and artillery in IC2103 already has unfortunate range issues anyway). In any case, clear it with the group prior to play and any way will work as long as it is applied across the board. For all I know, the artillery elements' Attack Values have been skewed in favor of the first option in any case (i.e. they have "plussed-up" AVs to account for striking, say, the Front DVs).

I hope you get some games in! But, you know what they say--without an AAR and/or pictures, it didn't happen! :lol:
Failure16

Postby Echo5Hotel » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:23 am

Cool, I think I will go with the weakest defense factor since it would be a top down attack.

I'm hoping to get my group to play a game before too long. Real life is taking a big bite out of all of our gaming time unfortunately. :cry:
Echo5Hotel

Return to Iron Cow Rules