Very good game! The future?

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Very good game! The future?

Postby mostrojoe » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:38 pm

I hope a full set of rules will be soon avalaile! I downloaded the lie vrsion, printed it and really apprecited it!

Even if the Nortern Europe vs. Southern Europe is a litle campy, expecially today, the ruleset is absolutely clear and brings to detailed games. I like theplacement rules too for their originality.

When a campaign game? A seto of ruls to "scale" the game from 1/300 to (say) 1/1200? From fighters to astroships? To use them for a great invasion/raid operation that starts in the space and, deployed troops and tanks on the surface, goes on with Iron Cow rules? I would like to see Iron Cow more similar to this set of rules (no percentiles), and it would be great to merge this ruleset with a future Iron Cow edition so that full aerospace support of ground troops is given.

Great Job!
mostrojoe

Postby Brigadier Tony » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:43 am

Even if the Nortern Europe vs. Southern Europe is a litle campy, expecially today, the ruleset is absolutely clear and brings to detailed games.

I don't know, if the eurozone continues to implode the Germans may get fed up bailing everyone else out - but enough politics ... :D

When a campaign game?

A campaign game was part of the original ruleset, so we're working at restoring that. It covered fatigue, development of pilots as they became more experienced etc.

A set of ruls to "scale" the game from 1/300 to (say) 1/1200?

Given that sales of fighters from our fleet-scale spaceship range increased dramatically when we finally released this version of SC, I'd say that plenty of people are already playing it with small scale models ! Or are you talking about a simplified version of the rules for larger games ?

it would be great to merge this ruleset with a future Iron Cow edition

Wessex Games have their own set of starfighter rules in the works (Iron Hawk I think they're called) so I would imagine that they would be more likely to be integrated with Iron Cow.
Brigadier Tony

Postby mostrojoe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:09 pm

Brigadier Tony wrote:A campaign game was part of the original ruleset, so we're working at restoring that. It covered fatigue, development of pilots as they became more experienced etc.

Any idea about the moment we'll see it? ASAP of course, but when it could realistically be "ASAP" more or less? :)

Brigadier Tony wrote:Given that sales of fighters from our fleet-scale spaceship range increased dramatically when we finally released this version of SC, I'd say that plenty of people are already playing it with small scale models ! Or are you talking about a simplified version of the rules for larger games ?

When a company like Brigade Models sells well is ever good news :) anyway I was thinking to a "scalable" system that permits to play space battles between spaceships but, if the necessity arises (or if a pivotal battle could be more fun if more detailed) you could "zoom" from spaceship level to fighter level. I think that anyway something similar is the Strike Legion system by Legionnaire Games that you sell on this same website.

Brigadier Tony wrote:Wessex Games have their own set of starfighter rules in the works (Iron Hawk I think they're called) so I would imagine that they would be more likely to be integrated with Iron Cow.

Well yes, that's the name buuuut... the Wessex website still reports the wrote "Iron Hawk 2136AD will be available late 2008" so I think is not something that will be ready soon :) I thought anyway (wrongly) that using as a background the Steve Blaise universe (and selling the official miniature lines for essex Games) you could had worked more strictly with him. As I say again, it was just my assuming :)

Do you think you will ever come up with a ruleset for land 6mm sci-fi warfare? Something that could be felt like a "system" when played with Squadron Commander? I have Future War Commander and I have Iron Cow, but I would like to see a Brigade sci-fi system soon or later :)
mostrojoe

Postby Brigadier Tony » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Any idea about the moment we'll see it? ASAP of course, but when it could realistically be "ASAP" more or less?

Given how busy we get around Xmas (and how busy I also am in my day job currently) it won't be this year, I'm afraid. We have some new models lined up for the spring next year, so maybe then.

I was thinking to a "scalable" system that permits to play space battles between spaceships but, if the necessity arises (or if a pivotal battle could be more fun if more detailed) you could "zoom" from spaceship level to fighter level.

I guess you could almost do that now, simply by playing out any fighter dogfights in a Starmada/Full thrust game on a seperate table. It could be time consuming, although you'd only be playing six fighters per side at most.

Well yes, that's the name buuuut... the Wessex website still reports the wrote "Iron Hawk 2136AD will be available late 2008" so I think is not something that will be ready soon I thought anyway (wrongly) that using as a background the Steve Blaise universe (and selling the official miniature lines for essex Games) you could had worked more strictly with him. As I say again, it was just my assuming

Like us, Steve has a full-time job which tends to intrude on his Wessex Games' activities :(

Do you think you will ever come up with a ruleset for land 6mm sci-fi warfare? Something that could be felt like a "system" when played with Squadron Commander? I have Future War Commander and I have Iron Cow, but I would like to see a Brigade sci-fi system soon or later Smile

At the moment, no. SC has taught us how time-consuming rules design is compared to making models ! I can't see us launching anything for 6mm ground games in the forseeable future, especially given how many other competing sets there are out there (and some of them are very good).

If you want to have a go yourself and come up with some house rules, feel free - the idea of integrating SC and a fleet-scale spaceship game is certainly an interesting one.
Brigadier Tony

Postby mostrojoe » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:05 pm

Brigadier Tony wrote:Given how busy we get around Xmas (and how busy I also am in my day job currently) it won't be this year, I'm afraid. We have some new models lined up for the spring next year, so maybe then.

OUCH! The wise says "come on, time flies" but it is a long time for now. I'm sure tha awaiting will be worthy :)

Brigadier Tony wrote:Like us, Steve has a full-time job which tends to intrude on his Wessex Games' activities :(

You are right :(

Brigadier Tony wrote:At the moment, no. SC has taught us how time-consuming rules design is compared to making models ! I can't see us launching anything for 6mm ground games in the forseeable future, especially given how many other competing sets there are out there (and some of them are very good).

Very true. Brigadier has the advantage to make miniatures too for an eventual system, but some of the rulesets you sell on this website are good for sure. What I find a pity is that most of the time a land ruleset has not the space option, but just some semi-abstract rules for air support. To the contrary, space rules a lot of time do not permit you to bring your battles down to support the dirtside. Anyway you are doing a great job with the "Blaiseverse" miniatures and, as soon as money will be there (economy dark times permitting...) I would like to try Iron Stars or Aeronef, so next year I should buy a lot of things from you guys :)
Thanks a lot!
mostrojoe

Postby Brigadier Tony » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:30 pm

What I find a pity is that most of the time a land ruleset has not the space option, but just some semi-abstract rules for air support.

I can't imagine it would be too hard to integrate Squadron Commander with Iron Cow - it would be harder with FWC because of the abstract movement system, but it should work with IC. You'd have to use hexless movement (easy enough) and change the speeds/ranges somewhat, but I shouldn't think it would be too hard.

I would like to try Iron Stars or Aeronef, so next year I should buy a lot of things from you guys

Aeronef is a lot of fun, that's for sure. The rules are easy to learn and quick to play, and you can field big fleets of ships which always looks great !

If you want a more in-depth game, you could try using Aeronef models with Iron Stars rules - several people have tried it, here's a link on the MJ12 forums: http://www.mj12games.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1061
Brigadier Tony

Postby mostrojoe » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Brigadier Tony wrote:Aeronef is a lot of fun, that's for sure. The rules are easy to learn and quick to play, and you can field big fleets of ships which always looks great !

If you want a more in-depth game, you could try using Aeronef models with Iron Stars rules - several people have tried it, here's a link on the MJ12 forums: http://www.mj12games.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1061

OT: Iron Stars official miniatures has not an Italian Fleet.

There will be new IS miniatures in future?

For Squadron Commander what will be the new factions you are going to publish?
mostrojoe

Postby Brigadier Tony » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:25 am

There will be new IS miniatures in future?

We're looking at IS - we'd like to produce more models, but it's all a matter of time !

For Squadron Commander what will be the new factions you are going to publish?

We're planning South Africans for February, PacFed and Indonesians for April and then we'll see after that.
Brigadier Tony

Postby Stroezie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:37 am

Are there any plans to continue with this ruleset in the near future?
I read through the free online rules and I like what's there so far.
I'm thinking of combining them with Squadron Foreward from Twofatlardies to play a co-op campaign with a buddy of mine, but I would need ship building rules or else at least some stats for the Kondor strikeboats and the cimexian fighters.
Stroezie

Postby Brigadier Tony » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:55 pm

Unfortunately SC hasn't been quite the commercial success we hoped for so other projects have been put in front of it; we didn't sell as many of the new, large scale models as we would have liked (although we did see a huge upsurge in sales of our fleet scale fighters - so I guess everyone's playing it with the small scale models instead !). However, we haven't dropped support, it's just gone quiet for a bit.

I did get part way through a points system, but never finished it. I do have stats for the Kondor somewhere, I'll have to dig them out.

There are additional models in the works - PacFed, SAC and Indonesians have all been digitally sculpted and will be printed sometime in the next month or three.
Brigadier Tony

Postby Brigadier Tony » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:56 am

Kondor stats (right-click and save the file)

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Gaming/SCR/German/Kondor.pdf
Brigadier Tony

Postby Ruarigh » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:03 am

I'm disappointed to read that it has not been the success it deserves to be. This is a great set of rules and we have enjoyed it a lot.
Ruarigh

Postby Brigadier Tony » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:13 am

A lot of sets of rules have been downloaded, so from that point of view it's done well - but sales of the models haven't been great. But as I said above, we're selling a lot more of our very small scale fighters so guess that's some compensation.
Brigadier Tony

Postby Stroezie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks for the quick reply and the kondor stats.
I have to admit I guilty of going the fleetscale route myself to.
There were several reasons for this:
1) I wanted to get a feel for the game before spending to much money on it.
2) There were more models available.
3) I'm planning on building a small magnetised travel set and eventually a larger one for my table at home.

I'll probably be buying a few 1/300 models for the 6mm ground portion of our campaign and then once we've been playing for a while I'll slowly expand my collection for the spacebattle side of things.
Stroezie

Postby Ruarigh » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:08 pm

Selling more of the smaller fighters is positive, but the 1:300 ones are not exactly expensive and you don't need many for a game. I like the fact that I can use these fighters as interface fighters in ground war games too, so I would have liked to see more of them available and that means more people buying them, because I can't afford to buy enough to push you into production overdrive! :)
Ruarigh

Next

Return to SC3600 General