A few questions

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

A few questions

Postby HyperBunnyFreakOut » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:58 pm

Okay, I have read through the rulebook about a dozen times now and can't wait to try this out. I have a question or two yet that i just can't seem to get to grips with.

1) You get as many orders per turn as you have HQ models (I say models because I am going to be the Bug Aliens from the back of the book). Does Jamming count against a HQ model giving an order? In other words, if a HQ model is Jamming that turn can it still issue a order?

2) Can each HQ model be given more then 1 jammer ability? In other words as a Bug player I get 2 HQ models. If I roll a 3 or jammers can 1 model have 1 jammer and 1 model have the remaining 2 jammers?

3) Unit Integrity and Command APCs: HQ models send orders to Command models then each section under that Command model performs those orders. The Command model must be within 5cm of all the sections? I can see where this is fine for the Aliens when they get 1 Command Brain for each section, but those basic lists of 3 sections with 4 tanks each all under the same Command APC could get really crowded trying to maintain this integrity.

4) Back to jamming, do bug aliens suffer jamming the same way as everyone else? I can see this as being a huge disadvantage added on top of the already limited amount of orders they can issue in a turn.

5) And one last question, at least for now, Can you expand on how we figure Initiative? It says we each toss a die and add our armies modifier but that sometimes units within an army might have a seperate modifier. Does that mean a seprate roll for each unit with differant modifiers or one roll with each unit figured out seperately then have them act in decending order of initiative?

I do have to say that despite my above questions I do really like the way the game is laid out. I think that once I understand the above I should have little to no trouble teaching this to some of the guys I game with.
HyperBunnyFreakOut

Postby Failure16 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:07 pm

Welcome to the Forums, HyperBunnyFreakOut.

I am not a PTB by any stretch of the imagination, but I will tell you how I've played it in the past:

1) A HQ element can issue orders as normal and Jam in the same turn (extrapolated from the beginning sentence of "Jamming" on the bottom of page 11; essentially it reads that orders are issued and once revealed, the Jamming Phase occurs).

2) No (purely gut reaction, but the question never really arose)

3) No, an element must be 5cm (2") from "at least one another" (per 2nd line, page 10 of the Unit Integrity" section. Thus, a HQ element just has to be in a unit that is maintaining normal integrity

4) I see no fluff reason that the Bugs should be susceptible to Jamming/EW effects (since the Ew section clearly refers to orders being passed via radio). Clear it with the group first, though...

5) Only one roll for Initiative per side per game turn. To do otherwise would force an "Integrated Game Turn" ala Dirtside II which IC2103 does not support. I didn't write the rules, but the term "Army" in this context seems to mean "Eurofed military" or "CDSU ground forces", not "army" in the GW/WH40K sense. To amplify on that, use the Initiative modifiers on page 12 for an "average unit" and others as applicable to the scenario for special units (worse or better, natch). The ideal example would be the CDSU forces receive a +4 Init mod, but Guards Brigades and Naval Infantry units receive a +6 because they are elite (page 21).

Take all of those suggestions with a grain of salt, if you will.

I think EW/Jamming should be an optional rule since some more advanced forces might not be susceptible to it (Hammers Slammers vs. dirtbag militia, for instance). I am also in favor of strengthening the infantry rules a bit, even at the expense of more granularity. You shall quickly see that infantry mean little in the game and as such are little more than scenery.

Still, IC2103 is a great introducton to modern/future microarmor warfare and worth the effort to learn it. It plays quick and doesn't require scads of record sheets or tables (though I do have a compliation of IC2103 charts in PowerPoint if you are interested) and is easy enough to pick up that people start to like the milieu (of microarmor).

Hopefully you get to play a game soon; please put together an AAR if/when you do! This board needs more interaction/activity!
Failure16

Re: A few questions

Postby Wessex Steve » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:49 pm

HyperBunnyFreakOut wrote:if a HQ model is Jamming that turn can it still issue a order?

Yes

HyperBunnyFreakOut wrote:2) Can each HQ model be given more then 1 jammer ability?

No

HyperBunnyFreakOut wrote:The Command model must be within 5cm of all the sections?

No only elements within the HQ section.

HyperBunnyFreakOut wrote:4) Back to jamming, do bug aliens suffer jamming the same way as everyone else?

No

HyperBunnyFreakOut wrote:It says we each toss a die and add our armies modifier but that sometimes units within an army might have a seperate modifier.

Good point. It is supposed to be Army initiative. Use the initiative figure for the bulk of the army.

IC2103 is a bit rough as it was only intended as an entry level game to 6mm SF based on my home grown WW2 set from nearly thirty years ago! (that said it is a lot of fun to play). I am giving serious consideration to the next edition using a different core system (maybe based on Land Ironclads) which will keep the fast play nature but allow for elements such as infantry and cybertanks to be better represented.
Steve Blease
Wessex Games
Wessex Steve

Postby Echo5Hotel » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Failure16 wrote:(though I do have a compliation of IC2103 charts in PowerPoint if you are interested) and is easy enough to pick up that people start to like the milieu (of microarmor).

Is this powerpoint still available anywhere?
Echo5Hotel

Postby Failure16 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:47 am

If you wait until the weekend, I'll see if I can dig it up (and hopefully PDF it at the same time)...
Failure16

Postby Echo5Hotel » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:33 am

That would be great, thanks. I was getting ready to do one of my own until I saw that you had already doe one.
Echo5Hotel

Postby Failure16 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:07 pm

Hey, E5H. If you could, PM me with your email address and I'll send you out a PDF of the collated charts.

And if anyone else has a desire for them, let me know. Thanks!
Failure16

Return to Iron Cow Rules