House rules: Missiles, rockets, and mortars

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

House rules: Missiles, rockets, and mortars

Postby javelin98 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:27 pm

Since there are models in the Brigade arsenal that sport both guided missile and unguided rocket launchers, as well as mortars, I figure we better kick around a few rules for those weapon systems.

Anti-Tank Guided Missiles (ATGMs)

ATGMs could be classified by their Penetration value, i.e., an ATGM system mounted on an APC might be a Class-10, while one mounted on an MBT chassis might be a Class-20 and VTOLs might carry Class-15 missiles.

ATGMs retain the same Penetration value no matter the range, although their % to hit would fall with greater range, just as for ballistic weapons.

ATGMs would not be able to target infantry.

ATGMs can be jammed. At the beginning of a turn, the opposing player can make a Jamming roll against the unit armed with ATGMs; however, instead of stopping or changing their order chit, the unit would be rendered unable to fire that turn.

Salvo Rockets

Salvo rockets are unguided rockets fired in large batches, such as WWII-era Calliopes or Hydra-70 rockets are today. Salvo rockets would also have a Class rating, as ATGMs above, tied to their Penetration value.

A unit firing salvo rockets at a target does so using the small artillery barrage template.

Damage to the targets under the barrage marker is calculated as follows: Total up the Penetration values for all individual models in the firing unit, then divide by the number of targets caught under the barrage template.

For example, three Lynx Salvo Rocket APCs, each carrying a Class-10 salvo rocket launcher, fire on a collection of enemy vehicles and infantry. The total Penetration value is 10x3 = 30. There are five enemy pieces caught under the barrage template, so each receives 30/5 = 6 Penetration against it. The vehicles are undamaged, but the exposed infantry are destroyed. If using the Morale rules, the vehicles would still have to account for the attack against their morale.

Salvo rockets, being unguided, cannot be jammed.

Mortars

Mortars allow a unit to fire over blocking terrain, using the artillery rules but with the range bands normally used for that vehicle's direct-fire equivalent. The blast template would only be 40mm across rather than 100mm.

Mortar fire against infantry under a Static order inflicts damage at the Penetration value for the next higher range band.

Mortars also cannot be jammed.

Anyway... those are some initial, light-and-easy thoughts for these other weapon systems. As always, please comment and contribute!
Leo: (July 23—Aug. 22): The wheelchair and the indignity will be bad enough, but the worst part is going to be explaining to your wife exactly what you said to the genie to make him take off your legs like that.
javelin98

Postby Echo5Hotel » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:01 pm

So with the ATGM rules here, is there any idea of how many ATGMs a model would carry? I ask because otherwise why would you ever use the standard weapon stats for the vehicle and instead have it firing ATGMs constantly? Not trying to nitpick just trying to get my head around the rules.
Echo5Hotel

Postby Failure16 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:00 am

IC2103 is a very "easy" game-system, so I'd say they have effectively unlimited ammo for their weapons. The game doesn't lend itself to record keeping, by and large you see.
Failure16

Postby javelin98 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:00 pm

I'd agree with F16 on that. The house rules were meant to incorporate some weaknesses for ATGMs that would make a player seriously consider if they wanted to go with those -- i.e., being jammed, no attacks on infantry.

I can see now, though, that we could whip up some rules on reactive armor, point-defense systems, and so forth that would add more interaction with ATGMs.
Leo: (July 23—Aug. 22): The wheelchair and the indignity will be bad enough, but the worst part is going to be explaining to your wife exactly what you said to the genie to make him take off your legs like that.
javelin98

Postby Echo5Hotel » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:32 am

Ok, I understand. I thought about a point defense system myself on this. I'll post some more on it once I think through it as I want to make sure what I am formulating will work and be balanced.
Echo5Hotel

Return to Iron Cow Rules