[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Brigade Models • View topic - Retooling the original run

Retooling the original run

Moderator: Brigadier Tony

Retooling the original run

Postby frigatesfan » Tue May 09, 2006 1:27 pm

Say,

Are there any plans to redo the masts and connection points on the hulls of the original run of miniatures, the British and the Russians?

Or, since that entails a bit of work, will a set of extended masts be available as an accessory pack for anyone who wants to drill into the hulls of those original unaltered miniatures themselves?
frigatesfan

Postby Go0gleplex » Tue May 09, 2006 1:34 pm

If you have a pin-vise and small bit, it's not difficult to pin them. Done so with the Bantam and lightening cruiser. You can get about 1-1.5mm deep into the masts and main hulls. Use a bit of florist wire as the pin...makes a pretty solid connection with reasonable handling.

Just a bit more prep and hand work is all.
I admit it! I'm a greedy ship-a-holic...next fleet please!
Go0gleplex

Postby Brigadier Tony » Thu May 11, 2006 12:11 pm

I pinned mine using paperclip wire (cheap and readily available :D ). The Bantam was OK, I found that it holds together pretty well with no extra pinning needed. It's the smaller craft that are the problem (oh, and the Russian capitals). In fact the biggest problem I have is transporting them - they weren't on the stand at Salute this year because when I opened the box all I found was a terrible mess of sails :(

Assembled for the first time and stored safely on a shelf I had no problems, they looked great in photos and all was fine. However, I've yet to find a safe way to transport the Russian capitals without losing a sail or two every time. I'm open to ideas ...

As for retooling the early models, well the current level of sales doesn't justify that at the moment. I have read a couple of posts on TMP from people who say they are waiting for the range to expand before getting into it, so maybe as we produce new models (Southern Front is chock full of new designs) things will pick up and we'll be able to justify the expense of remaking the initial batch. That said, we will be revisiting the Bantam because the side gun mounts have given us no end of trouble on the resin hull.
Brigadier Tony

Postby frigatesfan » Thu May 11, 2006 1:10 pm

Well, there is this solution to the sails problem, I just remembered reading about--using magnets to stick bits on.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=57834

or

http://www.stephane.info/show.php?code=magnets
frigatesfan

Postby Go0gleplex » Thu May 11, 2006 3:36 pm

If you're transporting them in a foam cut out, put a keel strip of foam under them and then a snugly fitting "U" piece or two down over the top to keep them in place. If they don't move about and are supported off the sails, then there shouldn't be enough stress on the connection points to snap the sails off.
I admit it! I'm a greedy ship-a-holic...next fleet please!
Go0gleplex

Return to Iron Stars Miniatures