So my little German colony on Mars now has a name – Neu Celle. I’ve named it this because I have fond memories of visiting my Aunt and Uncle (who was in the BAOR in the 70s) at the original town of Celle (the one on Earth) in Northern Germany. They lived in married quarters which I am led to believe were German officers’ quarters during WW2 (I must see if they have any old photos). I wasn’t too old – I made my first trip there in a pram on the back seat of my parents’ Simca (no child seats in those days, or rear seat belts for that matter !) but I can remember Hamburg Zoo, coloured chickens, a ride in a Stalwart (Uncle Bob was in the REME – the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers), a barbecue in the rain halfway up a Mountains (the Harz Mountains maybe ?) and cockroaches (the block of flats was infested !).
Work has continued on the construction of my outpost in the (terraformed) Martian desert. The first task after giving them a wash was to undercoat – I used a spray can of industrial white primer from a hardware store (in this case Toolstation – much, much cheaper than the B&Q or Homebase chain DIY stores). There’s no point using your expensive Citadel or Army Painter spray paints on a job like this, you want a good, hard-wearing coat of industrial primer that will stand up to knocks.
So at the moment it’s like Christmas come early in Neu Celle. Next time we’ll give it some colour …
I’ve started out on a project to build a 15mm township from our desert buildings range (we finally have enough spare castings to let me do this – we’ve been selling them as fast as Phil makes them !). At Maidstone Wargames Society we seem to have settled on a near-future, terraformed Mars as the setting for our 6mm/15mm/starship games, using the Modified Mars site as a guide.
I haven’t named my little township yet – since I’ve been fielding German ONESS forces in our two campaigns so far, I’ll probably stick to that and come up with a suitably Germanic moniker for it.
Having picked out the models I needed (one of each of the ten models that we make, with duplicates of the three smallest houses) I ran the bottom of each model over a sheet of coarse glasspaper to smooth it off and flatten any irregularities (do this in a ventilated place, preferably outdoors, and don’t breath in any of the resulting dust – wear a mask if necessary).
The next stage, as with all resin models, is to give them a good wash in soap and water – washing-up liquid (dish soap) is fine – this removes the dust from the previous sanding, and also cleans off any residues from the casting process. I just chucked the lot in the washing-up bowl with lots of hot soapy water and gave them a scrub with an old brush, then sat them on some newspaper to dry off.
I’ll try to give a blow-by-blow breakdown of the whole process of making the township, including painting, basing, detailing etc. I tend to be fairly erratic and have bursts of activity followed by periods of nothing happening, so you might need to be patient …
Sharing time again … from Jim’s Wargames Workbench, a quick’n’easy way to paint your tanks to a decent tabletop standard.